Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My cousin and his girlfriend have bought a place in Putney, London, down the back of a pleasant horseshoe-shaped close. I spotted this 164, in my favourite colour - the first 164 I've seen in England. It's a Twinspark (4-cyl) and I thought in pretty good condition considering it's 20 years old. Keeping good company too, as you can see!

-Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
What a great looking place to live and it is good to know that there are still a few 164's left in the UK. I'll bet things are quite different from what you are use to in New Zealand. Are you starting a new life in the northern hemispehere? If so, best of luck!

Cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
What a great looking place to live and it is good to know that there are still a few 164's left in the UK. I'll bet things are quite different from what you are use to in New Zealand. Are you starting a new life in the northern hemispehere? If so, best of luck!
Haha, thanks but NO, I'll be glad to get home :)
It really is quite pleasant here at this time of year weather-wise. I have been here before a few times and I came over to run training courses in Dublin. Calling into London to stay with a friend was necessary to fill in the time before my flight home (end of the week) and also I have work to do, which I can do with a laptop from anywhere. So today I'm working out of an expensive flat in Vauxhall. It costs £300/week to rent here - that's about what I paid for the last 164 I bought.

You're right in that it is very different, easy to get around without a car, and there's just about anything you could want right on the doorstep. The nightlife, in particular, is an eye-opener. I imagine this part of London might be the equivalent of San Francisco. Or at least, what we might think San Francisco to be (I haven't been there).

As for Putney, yes, quite pleasant and buying there is obviously a more sensible move than renting a similarly-expensive flat close to the city centre. Nick and Debbie live in a semi-detached one-level house not shown in the photo - a fairly old flat-roof place that they have already started to renovate.

I expect there are few 164s remaining mainly due to the high cost of fuel, road tax (linked to engine size), and the fact that some 164s (early ones?) have rusted badly.

-Alex

·
Registered
764 Posts
I expect there are few 164s remaining mainly due to the high cost of fuel, road tax (linked to engine size), and the fact that some 164s (early ones?) have rusted badly.

-Alex
I check in with Alfaowner.com every now and then to see what is going on with owners in Europe and elsewhere. I was shocked to see how much it costs for annual registration on a 3.0l Alfa 164. Also, they are stuggling with the lack of new parts - just like the rest of us. Most 164 owners moved up to the 166, but those are now getting to be 10+ years old and their values have fallen quite a bit. So, a tip of the hat to 164 owners over in Brittian. It must be a labor of love.

Enjoy the wedding parties and have a great trip back home.

Cheers,

Jeff
Dallas, Texas

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well spotted Alex. I lived in the UK for a few years in 2002/03 and then 2005 and never saw a 164 while I was there. Saw a few in Germany however and Italy. I did see a few 166s however and apparently they didn't sell very well in the UK.

I occasionally check out the UK carsales websites and dream about buying a late model 24v 164 cloverleaf car (or even a Q4) to import back to Oz but too much red tape and not enough time. Someone here in Melbourne has managed to import an SZ (ES30) though which would be one of my alltime fav Alfas.

EDIT: I was incorrect above - I did see 1x 164 that I recall and it appeared to have broken down - the driver had the bonnet up and was on the phone, obviously calling for a tow!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts