Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
let us see how the price rise up then we know when the line of price is going higher than car is worth. Much to do.

I am always wondering why people start so early the bidding-hype ! They make bids against their purse and themself instead of waiting close to auction end. hmmm... Would be very interesting to see how high the price would go for our Monti ! !

Here is an other one:
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal | eBay

Hannelore

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
spot the difference

Montigirl
The car us advertised as a righthand drive but I believe it started life as a lefthand drive, check out the engine bay picture.
Regards Geoff

·
Registered
470 Posts
Montigirl
The car us advertised as a righthand drive but I believe it started life as a lefthand drive, check out the engine bay picture.
Regards Geoff
Well Geoff, you are quite right.

Jesus, what a mess under the bonnet ! Unfortunately the pics are to dark to recognize details on my little phone screen. I requested seller for some better + more pics. Honest? I would not touch this car when I see others for maybe identical prices but in a shape where you find the parts where they belong to !!! Guess what is the "reserve" ? 70.000 ? :laugh:

very curious technic - jep... MUCH to do, not done in a few hours.

We will watch this wondercar (not my class)
Good night
Hannelore

·
Registered
241 Posts
Neither of those cars have anything on this one...

1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal for sale | Hemmings Motor News

This Montreal looks like it has been raided as a parts car for restoring another such is the extent of the missing parts. Does anyone know of it's history?

If it sells for it's asking price of $30K USD I'd be amazed.

Phil.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Neither of those cars have anything on this one...

1971 Alfa Romeo Montreal for sale | Hemmings Motor News
Ha ha ha! They can't be serious, can they? That's a part car, only with no parts left. Basically the only thing that are left are the wheels, the engine block and the windshield.

I'm sorry, but the Montreal market is looking more and more like a joke. I pity the guy who is out for a decent specimen these days ... :(

·
Push hard and live
10,473 Posts
I noticed that Sports Car Market now has the Montreal priced between 75k and 135k, and predicts it is fully priced in this range, and likely to move up and down in concert with the overall market at this point. Probably correct. The silliness is coming from people with awful cars thinking they fit into that range. Oh well. They are either right or wrong, and time will tell.

I couldn't quite figure out just what was going on with the car covered by this thread. It appears the distributor is on the right side as with a LHD car, which eliminated any room for a brake booster, so a remote booster is mounted up by the left front of the engine. The writer describing the high value of the car may not know just how much it has been vandalized.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I noticed that Sports Car Market now has the Montreal priced between 75k and 135k, and predicts it is fully priced in this range, and likely to move up and down in concert with the overall market at this point. Probably correct.
I believe the SCM's 75k to 135k valuation is for condition #2 cars; which are really nice -as in club level concourse or better. I would expect that condition #1 cars, national concourse winners & major event cars, would be in the 150- 200K range; like Scott's car in Arizona last year. I believe that I read in SCM years ago that "a rising tide floats all boats" or something similar and that explains why several projects have made their way to market; which I am glad to see them changing hands to get them on the road again.

Two things that I would like to see SCM change would be to raise the Montreal's evaluation from 3 Stars and C level rating up at least to that of the 1750 GTV and the Jr. Z, which both received 4 Stars and a B level evaluation (seriously?). One of my good friends has both a GTV and a Jr. Z and you should have seen his jaw drop when we made the conversion to 'warp speed' in the Montreal! Also after 32 years, I have first hand experience with the Duetto (3 Stars & B rating @ 42K). Also Don and I (25 years) both have first hand experience with the Two Liter Roadster (4 Stars & C rating). While I love the Two Liter for its beautiful lines and exceptional period craftsmanship, the driving experience is much more vintage and much better for comfortable 'Touring'.

lightspeed.jpg

The Montreal has beautiful and unique styling by Marcello 'Miura' Gandini; technology way beyond that of most Alfas of the period, (with perhaps the notable exception of the wonderful Alfa Romeo Tipo 33) unfortunately their racing history was only marginally successful. In Montreal the Essential Companion, Bruce Taylor sums it up as "...the car was never seriously raced by a factory team and Autodelta was left to collaborate with national groups and private individuals to prepare the Montreal for competition."

Mark

·
Push hard and live
10,473 Posts
Actually, SCM's recent issue lists a couple of Mont's auctioning for $75k, and notes at least one as condition 3, and the other as having visible flaws. Remember, condition 2 is "a #1 car that has been driven". Most people claiming to own a condition 2 car really have 3's, I believe.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
oh yes it is very nice! I did find a fault I think, is the cigarette lighter missing? :laugh:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
There is currently a correct cigarette lighter listed on eBay (warning: In full disclosure, I am related to the seller;). I believe the area inside the rear bumper under the license plate would normally be painted black or charcoal gray.

The red Montreal Derek linked to appears to be a beauty!

The $176K record setter has evidence of having been driven as it participated in both the "Going to the Sun Rally" from Scottsdale to Montana(!) and the "Copperstate 1000 Rally". Evidence of use and possiby wrong type hose clamps...spy photos attached below:)

Wrong hose clamps.jpeg
Drivers side engine compartment.jpeg
passenger side engine compartment.jpeg

Similarily I noted that Jeri Schaff's Two Liter Roadster that sold for a record setting $120K had participated in several 1,000 mile events including the California Mille
California Mille

I believe participation (and finishing) in these events added to the cars appeal and value.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
10,473 Posts
Mark. Not sure of your point, but no argument from me that driving these cars is what should happen. I'm content that the accurate description of mine is a "3". Most I've seen so far are 4's. Heck, I've got a couple of tiny rock chips already. Woo hoo.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
A show car is great, but a Driven Driver is better.

Just puttin' that out there,,.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Vendor Martin sent me privat mail last night with some photos in size zero like a coin. Nothing to recognize... I guess this is program not so much to show by the offer with reserve...
hmmm.
hannelore

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spot the differnce

As I started this thread I think it's time I commented again. Firstly I have to say that I do not know the vendor or the car and I wish him well with the sale, I thought it was an interesting exercise that someone had converted a lefthand to a righthand drive, was there a company at the time doing this or was it a private individual?
I agree with Don's comment that the seller may not be familar with the Montreal although by his reserve he has done some research into it's value, I hope the purchaser does some research too!
The thread has drifted to the value of these cars, all I can say is we all buy cars for our own reasons, enjoyment, investment, etc the value is what ever it is worth to the individual on the day.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Perhaps a possible explanation could be a previous owner replaced the right handed engine with a left handed engine which are more readily available and made the necessary engine bay alterations to suit?

Phil.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Philip,
Good lateral thinking, I must admit I had not looked at it from that perspective. Can you imagine buying an engine going to fit it finding it wouldn't go and having to do all that work,
aaaaaaaaah.
The auction has now ended and the car topped out at 17100GBP so did not reach it's reserve.
Regards Geoff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Red one a Justin Banks needs a complete rebuild, it is not complete, the chassis is in need of work, complete rebuild, at 25k it seems expensive

1 - 20 of 20 Posts