Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree. Someone got a great deal. I don't attend many auctions but I think the alfa was a bit of an outlier for the type of collectors auctions america attracts. Years ago other collectors would tell me "if you want a hot rod, go to a fancy auction and no one there will want it, and the opposite if you want something foreign". Probably more true pre Internet but I think there is still some truth to it.

I was waiting out for that auction but then I came across one I couldn't pass up in Italy. Should be here soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Joe, did you have any luck at the auction?:smile2:

Mark
I messed this one up but good. I decided not to fly to FL and instead do the bidding online from home and my last bid never made it in time. Afterwards I found out there is a lag in the online bids. So the search continues for a Monti and a new monitor. Seems that my monitor somehow got in the way of my fist.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Alfa Montreal for sale in Monteray, RM Auctions

RM Auctions is offering up a Alfa Romeo Montreal at it's next sale in Monteray, California. Check it out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
RM Auctions is offering up a Alfa Romeo Montreal at it's next sale in Monteray, California. Check it out.
How did you find this out? RM has only posted 5 lots so far for their Monterey auction (2 Ferraris, a Porsche, a Lambo, and an A-H 100M). The RM (and Gooding) auction isn't until mid-Aug so it's a bit early for them to be posting many lots as sellers will continue to consign into June.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does it matter where I got the information? How about the "horses mouth"? Take it or... Just giving people a heads up!
Lighten up man. I'm not challenging the validity of any connections or contacts that you have. I was merely asking what I thought was a rational question given that nothing as such is posted on RM's site. But you're right, it doesn't matter to me. So whether you got the lead from the horse's mouth, a horse's @ss or a human for that matter, then good score on the info and thanks for posting.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Grill's busted. No spoiler. Motor mods yuck! No under side pictures? 125K you should provide these pictures, not just pictures of the exterior.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Unrestored and barn-fresh. Hard to tell its conditions from the pics other than a dirty engine bay. I would guess it still required a fair bit of work for recommissioning.

Surpassed its estimate by a healthy margin.

1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal LHD - Anglia Car Auctions

Estimate: £24,000 - 29,000

Result: £39,900

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was at Auctions America and watched the Red Montreal hammer sold at $60,000 plus 10% fee = $66,000......,It wasn't that nice a car....Hyman LTD has a gorgeous Orange one owned by an Alfa enthusiast for many years...I've bought cars from them and they're very reputable.

·
Registered
466 Posts
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
I was at Auctions America and watched the Red Montreal hammer sold at $60,000 plus 10% fee = $66,000......,It wasn't that nice a car....Hyman LTD has a gorgeous Orange one owned by an Alfa enthusiast for many years...I've bought cars from them and they're very reputable.
Well, I think it is always a question of view... Tom's car was not so bad like it sounds maybe, his technic was fine, interior was also changed like in the orange one. But I think not paint is prior, technic is A + O first. No pics from below the car (sorry, still my most first favorite viewpoint of a Montreal). That ignition system is modified - no question, says nothing about the technic status of engine, clutch or waterpump etc etc etc to me. The Hyman-guy who wrote the text did definitive not know what he is typing = 1972 in top, 1970 in text ?? I guess 1972. 3700 Montreals sounds funny, when I copy text from internet I should read it again before sending to net.

But what I miss generally is the story of THIS car: what was all restored, what was all changed, some more photos for 88.500 instead of catwalk pics. No question, the car looks very nice and clean, the orange I love anyway. Our car is also not 100% original, some technic safty relevant changes were done, but to describe this car, Hyman should engage someone with knowledge and heartblood for text of exotic expensive car's, who has the right feeling what else people want to read and see in an offer for this price...

I won't say the car is good or less, not necessary of me, as an owner of this car it would offence me too. I wish the owner good luck for auction, that I did to Tom too! Tom = still sad..

By the way, next owner of car can contact me to order all the missing technical sticker who were damaged during restoration. For that I made them. :wink2:

I hope owner is not angry about my words - no personal attack, promisssed.

Hannelore

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
The 'Hyman' car while very nice (and I really like it) has even more modifications from stock (for an additional 22,500) than Tom Sanor's car that sold at Auctions America. Interestingly like Hanna pointed out, it has a similar MSDS & blue plug wires and I'll add the horns appear have been relocated, a fuel pressure gauge and regulator have been added, modified 'eyelid' tubing, there are incorrect braided stainless steel and non stock red heater hoses and incorrect air filter cover nuts, no washer solution tank, wood vertical and horizontal console pieces (that appear well done), similarly modified rear luggage shelf, non-stock trunk storage cover with a kitchen cabinet handle and speakers on it and the door panels, (cool) Ferrari exhaust, seat fabric is unusual and the wheels look like they are from a GTV or Spider and more...
1972 Alfa Romeo Montreal Coupe | Hyman Ltd. Classic Cars
When you say "It wasn't that nice a car" I suspect you are comparing it to Scott M's $176,000 Montreal or several of them that sold recently for in the mid to high 90's; some of which were not all that correct or impressive. I believe that Karl's Green Montreal that sold on eBay in the mid 80's was a 'real bargain' but Tom's car was the next best deal I have seen in a long while and I know the car and the owner pretty well. I believe the car would have done much better, had it been 'unmodified', 'box stock' and in a different venue. As mentioned previously Tom only had the car ~17 years so it was a 'quick flip',:wink2:

Enrico with the very nice 'GulfBlue' Montreal in Italy (ask 87K) let me know that his Montreal has been sold and delivered to its new owner in Los Angles USA. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/383970-alfa-romeo-2000-sedan-london-mexico-junior-zagato-blu-medio.html
Mark

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Mark, I do believe the wheels are correct for the Hyman Montreal, I had two sets just like it (squared and sharp center piece). But what caught my eye was the color, to me it looks slightly off. I had an orange Montreal and seen many others, this one looks washed out, not as bright and maybe a little salmon in color. Still a nice car though.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Mark, I do believe the wheels are correct for the Hyman Montreal, I had two sets just like it (squared and sharp center piece). But what caught my eye was the color, to me it looks slightly off.
Thanks Peter, I could not read the size of the wheels to tell if they were 6.5" or not. They looked different than the Montreal wheels that are stacked up in the back of the garage workshop and just like the 6" wheels that came on my old 1974 spider (my '75 spider had thinner less square 'spokes' like those in the workshop). The paint does look toned down a bit but that may just be the professionally done photographs, the 'setting' or my monitor. (Note to self, professionally done photographs do seem to make a difference!) I do like the car but think "nicer" is a relative term when comparing the two cars. I'd be happy with them both but know Tom's car and 22.5K. The orange car also has a cut out or trim piece around the spare tire 'cover/trunk mat' that is not on the Blue Alfa and the air filter housing and vacuum tank appear to have been covered with spray in truck bed liner.
Mark

·
Registered
51 Posts
The hyman car tires are 195/70/14

The photos are over a little exposed. That tends to make orange wash out. Orange is a tough color to show correct while also trying to show the various details a buyer will want to see.

I understand that Enrico's gulf blue car was outstanding ;)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
1976 Alfa Romeo Montreal

1976 Alfa Romeo Montreal - $33000

1976 Alfa Romeo Montreal fuel : gas transmission : manual title status : clean

This is a running car in extremely well preserved condition; only major thing missing is the steering box. These cars are very rare and difficult to find. Please e-mail contact information to include e-mail address. I will send lots of photos and additional details to serious buyers only. Asking price is $33K Or best Offer.

Let us know if you check this one out and if it is real. Would be good to see some pics.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

Attachments

61 - 80 of 426 Posts