Alfa Romeo Forums banner

401 - 420 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Phil..... For the best explanation.... refer to post #359 and #360 of this thread.
I guess my Montreal will continue to be lonely as a LHD in Oz... Any other known LHD’s in Australia?

·
Registered
216 Posts
The guy doing my metalwork here in Sydney tells me he has a customer with two LHD Montreals. I know one of them is Silver. So don't feel too lonely.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am not a purist at heart! Just wanted to get that out of the way first!!
But, when it comes to Classic cars and the restoration of them, the value is more if it is operating with the original parts and systems the car came with. Modified will always be modified. That doesn't mean you should not change your car. It is your car after all, and you are free to do whatever you wish with it. Just keep in the back of your mind that this will not help the cars market value in the long term. It's the same as with originality, compared to a fully restored car or any antique for that matter.
About cars being allowed into Australia. I believe this is because the Federal Government have installed a set of rules in the last few years, that require a car to be checked for Asbestos, even the slightest trace of it in a car. And the onus is on the owner to prove it has none. From what I have heard, this can be very expensive, if not prohibitive. I have a RHD car, bought in Australia in 1985 and then taken to Europe and Germany before finally being brought to the USA in 1992. Guess what? I don't believe that I can bring my car back into Australia, unless I tear a lot of it out, Clutch, Brakes, under floor Insulation and God only knows what else. If I did, my car would not be original anymore besides not justifying the cost of the modifications. Enough said....

Karl Robertson
Michigan 48302
USA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
The Bosch ignition system in this car is bullet proof. I still have the original points, my mechanic felt they were better than the aftermarket set I bought. The points have ZERO current drain like a traditional setup. I have this setup in both my 75's. The fuel injection is awesome. Spica Rules. Replacing or rebuilding the present system is the way to go. People even sell modified Bosch CDI's with modern components and they are rebuilt in original cases so there they would not compromise it's originality, Wes Ingram as well as a few other vendors can rebuild the Spica pump as well as the TA. All the components in my car are totality original, never been painted. I only had to change the the clutch master and slave, too pitted for rebuild, but everything else was good, calipers and brake master. It took over 2 1/2 years, but me Pumpkin sings! What a ride! Jeff is the best ALFA mechanic I've ever met, known him for over 30 years. Changing it is stupid in my opinion. Hurts the value?

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #408

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good looking car in really nice condition, it seems.
On a general visual point, it seems to sit really high, particularly at the rear; you can see above the rear tyre through the wheel arch.
I've noticed this situation on a number of cars, which I guess is standard? Personally they look a lot better sitting lower, but was that ever a factory option, because even in a book like the Essential Companion, standard cars featured in there seem to sit very differently?

·
Registered
99 Posts
There was no option about heighth of the car. The only valuable information are official pictures from the era. Personnally, nothing surprises me really on this picture, except maybe that the car lateral trims should show a fine horizontal line, and as you said there is a difference between the front and the rear axles heighths.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #411

Attachments

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Well after you have a look at the extra photos in the link I think it may well be a parts car. Pretty much everything is shagged. In saying that I would still buy parts off whoever buys it:laugh2: Do we pass around the hat for a group parts buy?....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree, it looks like a great yard.
I've messaged this guy on eBay about a few of the cars he's had. I'm about an hour away and asked when and where I could see the cars, I got a reply but he didn't attempt to make an appointment for a visit or give an address. I sent a few more messages but never got a reply after I asked to actually see the car!

·
Premium Member
133 Posts

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
If you look at the picture of the red Monty, behind is a Lotus and a Giulia TI. The TI was also on eBay and I had put a bid in. The bid was canceled for some reason. My good fortune probably, but if you ever figure out what happened it would be interesting to know.

DJ

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
pic 1989 was taken with original springs,
pic 2009 with new Eibach springs 32/40mm during restoration.
It was a success to change them - incl. our full brake system
2009 we didn't want to drive the car on podest anymore. :|

Dirk, you were so proud and ... young :x: :x :wink2:

Attachments

401 - 420 of 428 Posts