Alfa Romeo Forums banner

381 - 400 of 428 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you still got the power steering on your car, Acalex? Does it work OK?

Cheers, Rob
Hi Rob, the answer is yes, but its not the original system, a new hydraulic version was fitted, works a treat, if not a little too easy at slower speeds!

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I must say with that huge V8 steering can be an issue. Surprised it didn't come with Power Steering. I'm part Neanderthal, and it doesn't bother me.
acalex where is the pump? Did your car come without AC? Could put one there. Just curious.
Also I have rarely seen an Orange one for sale in the U.S. Not many for sale in Europe as well, but when you see them they are usually ~10K to 15K asking price.
Maybe they got all smashed up? Out of the 3789 made I would say ~40% are gone? Another ~10% are basket cases?
As far as I'm concerned it is the best looking color.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I must say with that huge V8 steering can be an issue. Surprised it didn't come with Power Steering. I'm part Neanderthal, and it doesn't bother me.
acalex where is the pump? Did your car come without AC? Could put one there. Just curious.
Also I have rarely seen an Orange one for sale in the U.S. Not many for sale in Europe as well, but when you see them they are usually ~10K to 15K asking price.
Maybe they got all smashed up? Out of the 3789 made I would say ~40% are gone? Another ~10% are basket cases?
As far as I'm concerned it is the best looking color.
Power steering transforms the car, you can park it in tight slots no problem. The pump is front l/h side of engine. No, aircon is fitted but again its a more modern upgrade, on front r/h side.
Interesting your view about Orange car prices, I had never noted that, but I guess it must be true.....If you're saying its $10-15 k more, then that is lets say a 15% premium(?), frankly I'm surprised, even if youre right about it being the best colo(u)r!
The Classic- Trader website in Europe always has a good number of Monty's for sale, take your pick on prices, but generally $80-100k, and 3 are Orange ( I cannot show the link for some reason as I do not have enough posts yet!!)
Numbers left? Nobody really knows, but your about 50% is as good a guess as any

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've heard about electric power steering systems (like the one products by EZ Power Steering in Holland). From my enquiries, they are fully adjustable and you can ramp up and down the assistance force. For example, you could set the system at full assist at 0mph then ramp down to nil assist at 10mph. That way you'd have the best of both worlds - no steering assist while driving and helpful assist for parking and shopping centres. Has anyone had experience with electric power steering?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've heard about electric power steering systems (like the one products by EZ Power Steering in Holland). From my enquiries, they are fully adjustable and you can ramp up and down the assistance force. For example, you could set the system at full assist at 0mph then ramp down to nil assist at 10mph. That way you'd have the best of both worlds - no steering assist while driving and helpful assist for parking and shopping centres. Has anyone had experience with electric power steering?
I have seen it on cars and spoke to people about it, for other cars, not the Monty. All reports are very positive and you don't have to mess around with complex fitting and modifications. On the EZ site if you drill down under Brands, across the top, then Alfa, then Montreal, there are several photos of a Silver car that has had the system fitted. The photos will enlarge and show things well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Acalex

I've spoken to EZ and they are asking a most ridiculous price. It is, after all, a simple electric motor matched to simple electronics. There is a company here in Australia (Ultimate Power Steering) who make a system for less than a fifth the cost. But I believe that any mechanic / auto electrician worth his salt could make something up without a problem. Who knows - maybe I'll come up with a solution that I can offer the Forum at an economical cost (the purists would turn up their noses at this accessory).

Have a happy day
Rob

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Acalex

I've spoken to EZ and they are asking a most ridiculous price. It is, after all, a simple electric motor matched to simple electronics. There is a company here in Australia (Ultimate Power Steering) who make a system for less than a fifth the cost. But I believe that any mechanic / auto electrician worth his salt could make something up without a problem. Who knows - maybe I'll come up with a solution that I can offer the Forum at an economical cost (the purists would turn up their noses at this accessory).

Have a happy day
Rob
I think its about £2500 here, according to spec, so I wouldn't be surprised if its $4500-5000 for you? Well purists are, in my book, a pretty weird bunch....why would you turn your nose up at something that is a great improvement and doesn't impact on anything else on the car?
They would probably have a seizure with mine with everything from a bored out and uprated engine, electronic fuel injection, power steering, modern aircon, upgraded brakes and suspension, also lowered, leather and alcantara interior, Nardi wheel, modern stereo/sound system, etc!!! Externally it is exactly as it should be,,,

·
Registered
216 Posts
There are two sides to every coin, Acalex. I can see both sides and I don't believe any one side can judge the other. Personally I'm on your side, but that doesn't make it right.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
..... not sure it's a $190K car..... you have to look at the global price average (price of cars sold- not advertised price), and you can buy as good or better across Europe for a lot less.
Looks like we are at $169K now. The global prices are steady if not on a slight decline for all classic cars over the last 3-6 months. He may have missed the peak for now. I have been looking for a Montreal for a while and this is $110-$125K car in my estimates.

Similarly, the 105 coupes are holding steady for now. Spiders seem to be up and down, all over the place.

·
Registered
216 Posts
John in Brisbane sold his green one for $139AUD (US$100) last July. I thought that was over-priced. My guess is that the one on Carsales will go for less that $100AUD.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Spot on!! I was using the green one as a benchmark!! I wanted that one but missed out.... sold real quick!!

Will be following this red one with interest!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Apparently the green one was listed at 9:00am on a Sunday for $139 and was gone by 12:00 noon the same day. Don't forget that there were only 180 RHD cars made, and there will never be any more allowed into Australia. So supply and demand is on the side of sellers. Even so, $100 is about where I think the maximum price should be, especially with a likely recession on our doorstep.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
Well I have heard quite a few people were keen on Greenie, so it’s quite possible it could have sold for a tad more. RHD in a great colour will always demand more. I doubt we will see a decent Montreal for under 100k AUD anytime soon. Only if we get a bonafide recession (which I hope we don’t) and not just the slowdown we are currently having. Montreal’s are way more expensive to restore and run than a 105 coupe or spider so I’d imagine most owners will hold if they can through the dips.

Reactions: Backto105

·
Registered
32 Posts
relative values

In the interests of helping the Australians on this list - mine was the metallic green one.
I am very familiar with the red one currently on the market, having driven it on many occasions.
My quick comparative assessment:
The red one has a better body and paint. It was put on a rotisserie. You can see the engine bay is the same as the body colour.
The red one is shod with lower profile wider tyres than standard and was lowered more than mine. I think this configuration is not as good aesthetically: lower profile means they don't look big enough for the wheel arches. All easily fixed of course.
Both cars were fitted with a Haltec engine management system with EFI. Both installations include individual coil on plug ignition. Existing distributor and coils remain but are inactive - the engine bay appearance is minimally affected. Performance and reliability is much improved.
The green car has a trigger wheel and sensor on the crank - a new custom pulley was turned up from billet stock to suit the application. Another sensor runs off the RH camshaft.
When I last saw it the red car only had the sensor running off the camshaft - which in my view does not provide the same accuracy as when sensing off the crank: timing chains can stretch and other mechanical issues can cause ambiguous readings. This compromises ability to optimally tune the car.
Last dyno run with the green car showed 160hp at the rear wheels.
Both car interiors are probably comparable - notwithstanding they have different colour schemes which is just a matter of taste. The green car has a modified rear bench replacing the ugly moulded vinyl contraption.
I guess supply and demand influences price !
Hope this is of some help.
John

·
Registered
216 Posts
G'day John

Derek had mentioned to me that he knew your green car. I, too, intend to put a Haltec system on my engine. Without exception, everyone I've spoken to with Haltec fuel injection gives it 10 out of 10. I was toying with individual coils or using a distributor. I guess the individual coils would future proof the fuel injection. Are there any other advantages of individual coils?

I'd love to know the actual selling price of the red one, once it disappears from Carsales.

Have a happy day
Rob

·
Registered
239 Posts
Apparently the green one was listed at 9:00am on a Sunday for $139 and was gone by 12:00 noon the same day. Don't forget that there were only 180 RHD cars made, and there will never be any more allowed into Australia. So supply and demand is on the side of sellers. Even so, $100 is about where I think the maximum price should be, especially with a likely recession on our doorstep.
Hi... just curious as to why will no more be allowed in Australia? Is there no avenues for classic or rare cars to be allowed dispensations from crash or emissions restrictions?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Phil..... For the best explanation.... refer to post #359 and #360 of this thread.

381 - 400 of 428 Posts