Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't see it either...
From Bloomberg--"The folks against sports cars in Europe and big sport utility vehicles in the U.S. often are same ones who hate McMansion-sized homes, corporate jets, jumbo freezers, yachts, 60-inch flat-screens TVs, overnight-delivery services and other trappings of Western-style wealth and energy use."
In the US, the most outspoken against these things are the same ones that do--ride around in the jets, have yachts, have jumbo freezers, McMansion homes etc. Look at Hollyweird types. Look at the energy used at Live Earth and fuel to get "stars" there, etc. Al Gores house that uses electricity 8 times as much in a month what a normal house uses in a year. Don't forget his Zinc mine in his back yard in Tennesee. When was the last time you saw your Congress member car pooling? In California, especially, the ones that are in charge are the worse. Look at the L.A District attorney squawking about Pairs Hilton while his wife had warrants for her arrest for the last 8 years. Or the Mayor of LA doing the horizontal dance with a reporterbehind his wifes back while bagging on the LAPD for ethics. Glass houses..........

·
Registered
22 Posts
Gotta chime in here and I'll be f*****d if it ain't true, but unfortuntaly lefties, and I consider myself one of those, are against the fun things in life. Red meat boohoo, loud engines boo hiss, formula one shiver, and nice looking women oooh bother. Then again let us not forget that the world today presents us with a problem or two. Say all you want about Al goer and the writer chap that flies around promoting his book on global warming and the world going to sh*t and all that. unfortulately it is all true. Everybody in China and India and Africa who up to a few years from now would never have dreamed about having the luxuries that we take for granted are now getting motorized and using a disproportionate amount of resources just like I do with my two alfas, my daily driver XJR, my wife's Odyssey and my new McMansion that I just bought after f****ng 20 years of education and striving. Don't tell me that just because someone was born in China or India they should not enjoy a wasteful lifestyle as much as I do. OTOH, we all do need to make a difference if your kiks and grandkids are gong to enjoy it liike I do now. To do that we need a rethink. You bet i burn gas in my XUR and my mcmasion is too big for a nuclear family. But at least I am not flying all over the world for a weeks' holiday if I can enjoy myself just as much with a short dirve and nto with the jet lag thx very much. Plus I can do the green offset thingie which I do. Say what you want about Al Gore but thanks to him and other folks there is at least a growing understanding about what it takes to keep our current lifestyles going and that we are going to have to pay the piper one way or another. I don't have all answers but I thank Al Gore and that Monbiot guy, they work ot make the world understand. Remember that saying about he who is wihtout sin should throw the first stone and all that. Peace.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Gotta chime in here and I'll be f*****d if it ain't true, but unfortuntaly lefties, and I consider myself one of those, are against the fun things in life. Red meat boohoo, loud engines boo hiss, formula one shiver, and nice looking women oooh bother. Then again let us not forget that the world today presents us with a problem or two. Say all you want about Al goer and the writer chap that flies around promoting his book on global warming and the world going to sh*t and all that. unfortulately it is all true. Everybody in China and India and Africa who up to a few years from now would never have dreamed about having the luxuries that we take for granted are now getting motorized and using a disproportionate amount of resources just like I do with my two alfas, my daily driver XJR, my wife's Odyssey and my new McMansion that I just bought after f****ng 20 years of education and striving. Don't tell me that just because someone was born in China or India they should not enjoy a wasteful lifestyle as much as I do. OTOH, we all do need to make a difference if your kiks and grandkids are gong to enjoy it liike I do now. To do that we need a rethink. You bet i burn gas in my XUR and my mcmasion is too big for a nuclear family. But at least I am not flying all over the world for a weeks' holiday if I can enjoy myself just as much with a short dirve and nto with the jet lag thx very much. Plus I can do the green offset thingie which I do. Say what you want about Al Gore but thanks to him and other folks there is at least a growing understanding about what it takes to keep our current lifestyles going and that we are going to have to pay the piper one way or another. I don't have all answers but I thank Al Gore and that Monbiot guy, they work ot make the world understand. Remember that saying about he who is wihtout sin should throw the first stone and all that. Peace.

Hey, we are already treating illegals better than our own citizens and trying to impose our beliefs on sovergn nations. What more could one want from our government? :mad:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm gonna take heat for this, but here goes. Global warming is to 2000s what the AIDS scare was for the '80s and 90's. It is the latest way for people like a has been like Gore to get in the papers and make money. If you take away the clowns that have their hands out for grants and research to promote (not study) the global warming scare, there is more real research that refutes it. Real research. You will never read about it in the NYT, WaPo, or CNN. Look at the papers of the early 90's. We are all suppose to be dead by now from AIDS. I was ridiculed by doctor freinds that never bothered to study the real numbers and statistics and how they didn't add up. Not even close!! Today, you can't even find an article in any paper about "the fastest growing epidemic" that was suppose to kill millions yearly in this country alone. Global warming, same thing. Global warming will be a problem when the Chinese stop smoking and stop spitting on their streets. Ain't gonna happen... Drive your Alfas and be happy. Let hypocrit Gores son drive his Prius at 100 MPH. I'm sure it used more gas than an Alfa at that speed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Aids didnt kill millions? ddt is not harmfull? global warming a hoax cooked up by left wing media commies? whats next jimcra,the earth is still flat right.

·
Registered
52 Posts
gore?

Cover of Newsweek 1978 "IS THIS THE NEW ICE AGE?". Now we're supposed to listen to Algore tell us the world is coming to an end because the world temp goes up 1 or 2 degrees in 100 years? If you want to drive a Prius because it makes you feel virtuous, or buy carbon credits (total jerk off since there is not a world wide cap on CO2) go ahead, but don't legislate that the rest of us have to live by the same wacked out set of priorities. What's this have to do with Alfas? I am living proof that all Alfa owners are not metro males, and I am not driving one because it has a four cyl..
Alan

·
Registered
461 Posts
nero, I GUARANTEE, you have NEVER, EVER, studied the numbers!!! You just drank the Kool Aid the papers fed you. Did you know that if someone died of cervical cancer, they were included in the AIDS stats??? I GUARANTEE you didn't know that! Do your homework!!! People dying of malnutrition caused by polluted water and lack of food is not rectified by giving condoms out or by pumping $15 to $20 billion into a dictators pocket. Those numbers are include in AIDS stats. nero, Can you find me the latest stats in any paper today for the US? You can't!! I could go on, but I'll spare the FACTS. Keep drinking the Kool Aid. africk is correct, the whole global warming thing is a joke. If you are so concerned, when was the last time you took a bus? Sell your polluting Alfa and get a bicycle. Where is your 100MPH Prius? One degree and the world is ending. Yeah, right. Just like our Orange County Register for years telling us home prices in OC have been in a bubble (since 2001) only to come out TODAY with the median prices at $646,000 for a NEW ALL TIME RECORD!!! We should all drive our wonderful polluting Alfas and be happy. Let the rest of the world take care of themselves since some of them hate us anyway....

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
nero, I GUARANTEE, you have NEVER, EVER, studied the numbers!!! You just drank the Kool Aid the papers fed you. Did you know that if someone died of cervical cancer, they were included in the AIDS stats??? I GUARANTEE you didn't know that! Do your homework!!! People dying of malnutrition caused by polluted water and lack of food is not rectified by giving condoms out or by pumping $15 to $20 billion into a dictators pocket. Those numbers are include in AIDS stats. nero, Can you find me the latest stats in any paper today for the US? You can't!! I could go on, but I'll spare the FACTS. Keep drinking the Kool Aid. africk is correct, the whole global warming thing is a joke. If you are so concerned, when was the last time you took a bus? Sell your polluting Alfa and get a bicycle. Where is your 100MPH Prius? One degree and the world is ending. Yeah, right. Just like our Orange County Register for years telling us home prices in OC have been in a bubble (since 2001) only to come out TODAY with the median prices at $646,000 for a NEW ALL TIME RECORD!!! We should all drive our wonderful polluting Alfas and be happy. Let the rest of the world take care of themselves since some of them hate us anyway....
People believe what they are told. Hell, 95% of the world still believes in some sort of omnicient, omnipotent and omnipresent magic sky fairy!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'm gonna take heat for this, but here goes. Global warming is to 2000s what the AIDS scare was for the '80s and 90's. It is the latest way for people like a has been like Gore to get in the papers and make money. If you take away the clowns that have their hands out for grants and research to promote (not study) the global warming scare, there is more real research that refutes it. Real research. You will never read about it in the NYT, WaPo, or CNN. Look at the papers of the early 90's. We are all suppose to be dead by now from AIDS. I was ridiculed by doctor freinds that never bothered to study the real numbers and statistics and how they didn't add up. Not even close!! Today, you can't even find an article in any paper about "the fastest growing epidemic" that was suppose to kill millions yearly in this country alone. Global warming, same thing. Global warming will be a problem when the Chinese stop smoking and stop spitting on their streets. Ain't gonna happen... Drive your Alfas and be happy. Let hypocrit Gores son drive his Prius at 100 MPH. I'm sure it used more gas than an Alfa at that speed.

That's a big 10-4. I plan on driving my old turds for as long as I can. Frankly by the time the politicions scare enough folks into submission I'll be in a graveyard somewhere producing my share of methane and CO2.

BTW isn't it so that plant life requires CO2 in order to create the O2 that we humans need? So what happens to the plants when we cut off their CO2 supply?

·
Registered
461 Posts
They also take for a fact, what they so strongly want to believe as fact, even when faced with real facts that dispute them. Did I say that right??

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'll wager none of you are qualified enough to say whether global warming is fact or fiction. You're just espousing opinion. Which is aligned with your political leaning.

[where's my asbestos suit and helmet? ]

·
Registered
461 Posts
Let's just say l'm not alligned with the guy that tells the world ..1) he invented the internet, 2) has personally alot of Occidental Petroleum while complaining about oil companies and 3) gets $20,000 a year from his zinc mine in his backyard while polluting the Caney Fork River with zinc, barium and iron....4) uses in a month more electricity than a normal house uses in a year but feels good about himself buying credits. What nonsense. PS.. Having Al Gore give speeches to lunatics doesn't make him an expert.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Isn't an expert a has been drip under pressure?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Jimcra has a valid point. The "Global Warming" scare has been debunked with scientific proof in several sources. Most notably a Brit TV series which contained interviews with several real scientists who were thoroughly PO'd that their names were included in the list of scientists supporting global warming after they expressly said they disagreed. You won't see that on PBS by the way, but several of the episodes on the series were on You Tube awhile back. The whole thing is a way for those seeking attention to declare to the world how wonderful and green they are.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Larry G, thanks for back-up. About a month ago, one big time climate scientist who said it was all baloney, whose name I missed, was on the news because he was receiving death threats from the Al Gore "believers".

·
Registered
561 Posts
Stop SHOUTING AT ME JIMCRA it doesnt make you more convincing.First of all when talking aids,or global warming try taking a global view not just what is going on in your back yard,are you telling me aids has not killed millions globally your the man with the facts yet you spare the facts.How big of a problem does something have to be before you believe it or take action.Why do you take the right wing reactionary response and attack any thought that doesnt follow yours,ever thought you may be wrong.The majority of world scientists allready believe global warming is reality,sure you will find some dissenting opinions from lobbyist backed and paid scientists but the majority of the non biased world scientific community has agreed or is it somehow all just left wing trickery as you would suggest.Try turning off fox news and lose your u,s centric thinking the worlds problems are larger than that.I live in canada so i cant comment on oc realestate as for attacking how green i live thats just childish.I am a regular guy and try and do my part but i am no eco nazi,i dont think the world is ending but am open to better and more efficient ways of using our resources and new technology to address the problems of pollution its called progress dont be afraid of it.And your last line says it all ,let the rest of the world take care of themselves since some of them hate us anyway...mighty neighborly of you wish we could but you need our oil.And i love americans its selfish ,closed minded,big winded knowitalls i cant stand.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
HOG WASH!! We humans must be pretty crafty. With the snap of our fingers we can change the cimate at our whim. Why can't we just accept that the world is a dynamic ever changing place. It appears to me that climate change is natural and welcome. That's why we have winter & summer. Now I would prefer spring all year long but where's the fun in that? Heck we have been experiencing "global warming" since the last ice age. Warm is fine with me. I lived in the snow with the Nature Nazi's for many years. They can have it. I want it warm.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm with you Geezer!
nero, get your head out of the sand. You have "seen" PBS programs and "read' from CNN that the majority agree. They don't, you are wrong. Sorry. The ones that agree with you and your nonsense have their hands out for grant money. Just like the AIDS cottage industry in the 80's and 90's. Funny how you don't dispute any "facts" about what I said about the number that die of malnutrition and are counted as AIDS victims. The number of women that die of cervical cancer counted as AIDS victims. You havn't shown me any numbers to prove me wrong. You just whine. Nothing! You do bring up a good point though. CNN, CBS, NBC, NYT want the lefty nuts to believe that we get all of our oil from Iraq. You know... the "NO Blood for Oil" crowd. You are right, you are the largest exporter to the US, by far. How many on the streets know that? Not many, because most, like you are too busy watching fiction on CNN. Our global warming left wing freaks won't allow any drilling in Anwar or building of refineries in the US. Be green all you want. While speaking of oil and bagging on the US, look up your own illustrious Louise Frechette and the connection to TotalFinal Elf and the Oil for Food UN scandal. Now that is helping the US out isn't it?? Must be nice to have a selfish, bigwinded, know it all country like the US on your border so you can feel safe at night as you let our enemies through your borders....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Facilities to give a proper diagnosis to many diseases does not exist in third world countries. So the numbers could be wrong. They could be right. Who knows. Accusations are everywhere.

I personally don't mind the weather in getting warmer in my neck of the woods. And I live in Southern California. I hate the cold and anything below 70 degrees is just annoying. To me, it doesn't matter if making California warmer makes other states like Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada reach record highs that go over 120 degrees regularly. California has dibbs on most of the water reserves in this region so it won't be us going thirsty if there is ever a drought. If I lived somewhere else I might care more.

What people don't realize about green cars such as hybrids is that it takes a lot of energy to run and build any type of car that runs on petrol. Its still going to be a dirty buisness despite what gas mileage your car gets. The best answer right now would be an electric car is you want to drop dependencey on foreign oil. Battery technology has existed for over a hundred years but if you want to know what happened to GM's EV1 you'll have to watch Who Killed the Electric Car? Me, I'm sticking with petrol all the way...or at least until the cost of a hybrid doesn't include a mark-up that makes the money I would save on gas obselete (Seriously, why is a hybrid engine worth $10k more in a new Honda or Toyota's MSRP?).

1 - 20 of 120 Posts