Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out why my 87 Quads spoiler brake light isn't working. I've owned the car 3 weeks and I'm not sure if it worked when I got the car (guessing it wasn't). The bulb looks good. I checked the sockets internal contacts and they look good. I tested the socket with a multimeter and can't find power.

The brake lights in the tail light assemblies work.

Not sure if related, but thought I would mention it... I don't have a center license plate light installed - it wasn't there when I bought the car and need to get one.

Any ideas.

Thanks.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Is the trunk lid fully closed when you're trying it?
Cleaned the contacts at the LR corner of the trunk and lid to ensure good continuity?
Checked that there is power up to the contacts in the LR of the trunk when the brake is pressed?
Checked that there is continuity from contacts on trunk lid to bulb socket?

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doh! Wicked Newbie mistake... was testing for operation and power with the trunk open. That explains the 3 contacts you mention.

The contacts were all clean (top and bottom), and the trunk lid adjustment bumpers were all the way in so the trunk couldn't close any tighter. I could get power at the bottom assembly and the pins in the top assembly function but no power up top.

I pulled out the top assembly to check the inner connections, and the solder looked good. I thought I lost orientation of the assembly and wasn't sure which way to put it back in. Well I put it back in, shut the trunk lid, pressed the brake pedal and the spoiler light now works. When I turn the lights on the license plate lights are still working.

I wonder if the PO had the assembly in backwards? Anyways, everything is working good. Tifosi, thanks for the help. Mike

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
On my 86 I had to put a washer under each end of the contact strip (left rear, 3 squarish contact pads) to raise it up just a tad for consistant contact with the three spring contacts on the trunk lid.

Wayne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts