Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Joe, What year/model grill did you use? Don't want to make a silly error!! Hope your out doing a weekend drive, before you put her up can you give us a couple of photos (with good lighting) of the cut area; looking at it from 45ish degree angel? Thanks Paul

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Joe, What year/model grill did you use? Don't want to make a silly error!! Hope your out doing a weekend drive, before you put her up can you give us a couple of photos (with good lighting) of the cut area; looking at it from 45ish degree angel? Thanks Paul

Like this?

Its s grill from a early 70s spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Joe...My grill arrived from EB spares (In England) and Alfa and I are having a discussion on how to mount the grill. She's being a bit obstinant about my plan, so can you post some pic of how you did it so we can get going!! Alfa is particularly interested in how you managed the "tab" that holds the bottom of the grill in place!! Thanks, Paul (Imitation is sincere flattery!! LOL}

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi Joe...My grill arrived from EB spares (In England) and Alfa and I are having a discussion on how to mount the grill. She's being a bit obstinant about my plan, so can you post some pic of how you did it so we can get going!! Alfa is particularly interested in how you managed the "tab" that holds the bottom of the grill in place!! Thanks, Paul (Imitation is sincere flattery!! LOL}

the bottom tab is not connected to anything. that would have been too much of a pain in the arse. i made brackets from the aluminum material i cut from the bumper and drilled holes in the sheetmetal of the nose of the car. i then made a flat bar with holes to mount on top of the sheet metal (in front of the hood(bonnet) area of the nose to add structure and fastened it together with hardened and coated bolts and nuts.

in the end it is solid with no wobble and being made from aluminum and coated fasteners it will last as long as the car.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks Joe!! Just a warning to others...It's easy to slip one's arm in the slot between the hood and nose piece. I forgot to block the hood and dang if the wind didn't blow the hood closed and latched!! There I was, my forearm was eaten by the Alfa with no way to release it. Luckily my neighbor heard my cries for help and popped the hood to release me!! Otherwise, I would be still trapped!! The hood and nose bent slightly but was still putting painful pressure on my arm..guess for about 5 minutes!! I just have some soft tissue swelling, but could have been much worse!! Just FYI...great project, just be careful of the potential trap!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks Joe!! Just a warning to others...It's easy to slip one's arm in the slot between the hood and nose piece. I forgot to block the hood and dang if the wind didn't blow the hood closed and latched!! There I was, my forearm was eaten by the Alfa with no way to release it. Luckily my neighbor heard my cries for help and popped the hood to release me!! Otherwise, I would be still trapped!! The hood and nose bent slightly but was still putting painful pressure on my arm..guess for about 5 minutes!! I just have some soft tissue swelling, but could have been much worse!! Just FYI...great project, just be careful of the potential trap!!

sometimes the cars bite back when you start to cut them up and put holes in them ?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts