Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nice job Joe!!
Assume all the parts are early 70s originals?
If not, where did you source them??
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
1978 Spider
351 Posts
Is this the one that's been on FB recently doing the S3 bumper split? Nice work.

Is there a way to "pull back" the bumpers? Pull them in towards the car to make them more flush? It would let the grill "stand out" more and look more original.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this the one that's been on FB recently doing the S3 bumper split? Nice work.

Is there a way to "pull back" the bumpers? Pull them in towards the car to make them more flush? It would let the grill "stand out" more and look more original.

The problem is the bumper extends to the wheel arch. So you can pull it in a bit, but then you need to modify the brackets and much more the bumper begins to extend past the arches.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Joe. Thanks for your reply.. I guess I need my cataracts done sooner than later!! I didn't enlarge the pix...just scanned them, but now I see their S3 lineage!! Still a great job, maybe even more interesting to those of us who don't have a set of chrome bumpers hidden away!! Do you have an "in production" pix? Also, would be great to see how you did the end-caps at the center. Thanks Paul

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Joe. Thanks for your reply.. I guess I need my cataracts done sooner than later!! I didn't enlarge the pix...just scanned them, but now I see their S3 lineage!! Still a great job, maybe even more interesting to those of us who don't have a set of chrome bumpers hidden away!! Do you have an "in production" pix? Also, would be great to see how you did the end-caps at the center. Thanks Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 Spider
351 Posts
Could an S3 bumper be fitted to a late S2? would be an option/alternative to the early S2 conversion. The PO of my 78 split the bumper just like you did...but it did not come out as nice as yours did. plus the S3 has that shiny stainless flash to it. Or did they go chrome on the S3?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could an S3 bumper be fitted to a late S2? would be an option/alternative to the early S2 conversion. The PO of my 78 split the bumper just like you did...but it did not come out as nice as yours did. plus the S3 has that shiny stainless flash to it. Or did they go chrome on the S3?

The 78 you can buy a retrofit kit that is the factory euro chrome bumpers for front and rear. It's a little expensive, but it looks the best. Splitting the bumper on a 78 is just the cheap way to do it. On a S3 there is no euro, factory or aftermarket kit that I know of that allows for easily swapping on a euro S2 split bumper. Not without a massive amount of bodywork.

So with a S3 we are left with 2 options. Do nothing or split it yourself and try to make it as pretty as possible.

·
Registered
1978 Spider
351 Posts
Yes but that retrofit kit costs more than I paid for the whole car...lol probably why the PO cut the bumper

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes but that retrofit kit costs more than I paid for the whole car...lol probably why the PO cut the bumper

If I could make that work on the S3, I would happily pay the cost. But it will not so I had to resort to doing it myself. But that is okay, I like doing metal fab work

·
Registered
1978 Spider
351 Posts
dude...your work looks awesome...no need to go the early S2 route on your car

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dude...your work looks awesome...no need to go the early S2 route on your car

I got lucky. Once I made the first cut I was at point of no return.

There were nights early in the process of this project that I was doubting how this would turn out and looking for a new bumper to replace the one I cut in half.

But, I decided to keep going and make it as best as I could at home without taking it to a shop and paying to have them do it for me.

It came out okay. At least for summer I am happy. I might make some small changes next winter.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi Joe! Thanks for the extra pictures. To keep the discussion on your conversion vs random questions and since I have an S3 bumper, free-ranging in my back yard I'll add some pictures of an S3s' anatomy. An S3 is different from an S2 as the 3s plastic bumper wraps around to the edge of the wheel well (with a corresponding structural difference in the fender) while an S2 still maintains an enclosed oval front from the earlier chrome bumper era. The true bumper is a 1/4 inch stock of aluminum that attaches to the shock absorber towers then to the "frame" and extends to just beyond the turn signal lights. The plastic facing then attaches to the aluminum sub-structure bumper in two places, with pop rivets (one on center and three over the turn-signal light (you can see the poor repair previously done). So here's some pictures!! b.jpg a.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Joe! Thanks for the extra pictures. To keep the discussion on your conversion vs random questions and since I have an S3 bumper, free-ranging in my back yard I'll add some pictures of an S3s' anatomy. An S3 is different from an S2 as the 3s plastic bumper wraps around to the edge of the wheel well (with a corresponding structural difference in the fender) while an S2 still maintains an enclosed oval front from the earlier chrome bumper era. The true bumper is a 1/4 inch stock of aluminum that attaches to the shock absorber towers then to the "frame" and extends to just beyond the turn signal lights. The plastic facing then attaches to the aluminum sub-structure bumper in two places, with pop rivets (one on center and three over the turn-signal light (you can see the poor repair previously done). So here's some pictures!! View attachment 1619794 View attachment 1619793 View attachment 1619789 View attachment 1619790 View attachment 1619791 View attachment 1619792

What I did was cut away all this material from the aluminum shell and plastic covers.

I used the scrap aluminum to make brackets for the chrome shield to mount under the nose of the car.

I then used think sheet aluminum and cut and shaped it as end plates to the bumper halves to close them off. Once in place I used a black rubber sealant to fill the small gaps and blend from the metal to the plastic covers and black portion of the front of the bumpers. The aluminum plates were painted black to give them a tied in look from the front of the bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joe that looks terrific! Super job... that's what Alfa should have done with the S3 to begin with.

I mean something like it. Just like when Alfa put the full black bumpers on the late S2 cars in america. There had to have been better, more stylish ways to do that.

S4s look good, it's just the S3 that has a slightly odd looking bumper

1 - 20 of 28 Posts