Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

I'm just about to change the gearbox oil in my '72 1.6 GT Junior. Shell Spirax 90 HD seems to be the oil of choice both in the manual and in posts on this site. However this no longer seems to be available in the UK. The Shell UK web site doesn't have any link to a technical information department

So do any UK owners have any thoughts or experience of a modern alternative?

My thoughts are Shell Spirax G 80W90, but I've not tried to obtain it yet!

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just the use the "Classic" oil that comes in an old fashioned looking tin from Halfords. This is 20w 50. No problems so far.
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris

Unfortunately I missed the all important word in my question, I neglected to mention that it's the gearbox oil that I am changing. I will try to edit the original post.

Apologies.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Harry

I'll see what else comes up in response to my question, if no info on Spirax then I'll give Alfaholics a call re the Millers oil.

Dave

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
From what I've read on the BB, Spirax is most commonly available from farming suppliers, but only in drums. I've used Millers transmission oil for the last ten years in my Sprint GT, and it works well. Morris Lubricants also make some excellent oils for older cars, and are worth finding.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Millers and Morris Oils should be readily available about the place. Also, if you are finding the synchros a bit slow, check out Red Line oil as well. I've used it and am happy with it so far. I bought some on-line from Opie Oils after looking at the options. I think a lot of US guys use it as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys

The options are widening! I hadn't realised that Red Line was available over here. Watch this space for what I end up using.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts