Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Having '86 Spider. Looking for shallow wooden steering wheel(Nardi/Momo/Hellebore) ( i think deep dish won't fit on it or need a special adapter..) .Currently mine look like this

Attachments

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
That one you reference is for a GTV-6 and will not fit a spider. Splined shaft versus keyed. I know, because I bought a perfect, expensive one like that for my spider without determining that they will not interchange. It can`t be done with out major machine work to separate the wheel from the spindle portion.

·
Registered
251 Posts
No, I was referring to the GTV-6 wheel that was recommended to you. That one will not fit because it is for a splined shaft steering column versus the spider one which has a woodruff key shaft. There are many after market wooden ones that will fit, but you have to use an adapter with those.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
alfasteve, just to be clear (this is a question), if one had the correct center boss, then the one referenced on ebay.de would work? Style-wise it strikes me as a match.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, if that one that you referenced had a smooth, keyed boss, it would would physically fit onto that spider. However, I am only aware of the factory ones like the picture in your reference that are for GTV-6`s. There may be Euro ones for spiders, but I have never seen one here. Also, they aren`t actually wood, but rather a stained plastic that looks for all the world like a wooden one. Spiders from the late 70`s had a similar material gearshift knob. As I said, I have one of those wheels that I lust to put on my spider, but unless you mill out the center boss & replace the splines with a bush that is keyed, or remove the upper wheel from the spindle and attach it to spider one, it can`t be done. The horn contact and turn signal cancelling mechanism is different, as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Alfasteve,
Currenty on my alfa S3 ('86) from USA i have perfectly mounted that black steering wheel(attaching picture)
However i want to mount a wooden steering wheel. And they are deep dish and shallow dish. I cannot find on internet which one would fit without any hub adaptors..
Do you have any suggestion if i should look for a shallow or deep dish steering wheel for my alfa?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,740 Posts
Most aftermarket require a adapter. Put a straight edge across steering wheel, then measure depth to bottom of stock wheel boss. That is what you need for stock replacement. Longer distance= Body further from dash, shorter distance = body closer to dash . Most Hellebore and Personal wood wheels that were stock Spider wheels will fit , but the plastic column surround may be different diameter. Check Centerline or other suppliers for recommendations for fit.
Cheers, Jon

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hello,
Having '86 Spider. Looking for shallow wooden steering wheel(Nardi/Momo/Hellebore) ( i think deep dish won't fit on it or need a special adapter..) .Currently mine look like this
If you’re still looking, I am removing the Momo wheel and adapter hub on the ‘89 Spider that I just purchased, in favor of a Nardi wheel. The Nardi should be here within a week or so. Let me know if you’re interested.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts