Spider Wheel Choices

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of (4) Vials on ebay for $163 total with shipping that are the same size as my Cromodora Daytonas. Thinking about using these until I can get my Daytonas bead blasted and powder coated. Here's a picture of what they look like "photoswapped" onto my Graduate along with the Cromodoras. I kind of like the look of the Vials and am considering maybe just staying with them. Hell, everybody and their brother are running Cromodoras.
Note the Vials currently have Ronal centercaps, which I'll have to replace.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
WHAT!!! No PanaSports!!! :eek:

I voted for DD's hubcaps.........I know it was a wasted vote!:p

I actually like the Vial things, haven't seen any of those!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Hmmm,... those are not Cromodoras at all. They are the OEM Campagnolo Daytonas. (For later series 3 Spiders Alfa used FPS Daytonas, and these OEM wheels look exactly like the earlier Campy Daytonas.) Cromodora also makes a five-star wheel, but their version does not have the channel that surrounds the five-star...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Last edited by kunzman : Today at 07:49 PM. Reason: I beat you to the photoshop icon fetta!
I'm getting slow in my old age!
Hey...at least with those hub caps you know you can do 135mph!!!:D

I gotta agree with msiert, the Vials will be a pain to clean and if anyone knows anything about a clean car it's those two guys there with the black Spiders!! They may be slooow, but they sure do glooow!

(Flame Suit On, headed over to JohnM's basement) :eek:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I didn't know that it was a fellow BBer who beat me on those wheels at the last minute...

I bought a set of (4) Vials on ebay for $163 total with shipping that are the same size as my Cromodora Daytonas. Thinking about using these until I can get my Daytonas bead blasted and powder coated. Here's a picture of what they look like "photoswapped" onto my Graduate along with the Cromodoras. I kind of like the look of the Vials and am considering maybe just staying with them. Hell, everybody and their brother are running Cromodoras.
Note the Vials currently have Ronal centercaps, which I'll have to replace.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...msiert, ... those two guys there with the black Spiders!! ...
(Flame Suit On, headed over to JohnM's basement) :eek:

Hey Murray, did you notice how our favorite color instills fear? I think he'll get over it once someone at home, with some Alfa finesse, teaches him how to handle the new acquisition! :D:D:D

Sorry about the off-topic post kunzman, but I didn't want fetta walking around in fear all winter... :p ... and I don't think John can keep him in his basement that long either. ;)

Best regards,

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've always liked the look of the stock Daytona-style wheels, sort of a Ferrari look to it. But like you said, everyone has them.....after seeing the pics, I have to say DEFINITELY on the Vials. They look awesome! And $163? Man you lucky so-and-so. ;)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I know this is not one of the options, but Panasports look best, IMO. I also like the look of the stock Campagnola or Cromodora wheels, and that's what I voted. Having said that, I do like the look of the voials, but painted differently. I had them on my 1979 spider when I lived in the UK, but the center was painted black, or a very dark graphite. The lip was still silver. Looked great, and is easier to keep looking clean;);)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've been interested in the OZ Racing Ultraleggera. They only weight 12lbs each. Don't the Daytonas weigh around 17lbs each? The photoswapped ones are 5 hole, but they make 4-108mm Ultraleggeras.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I've been interested in the OZ Racing Ultraleggera. They only weight 12lbs each. Don't the Daytonas weigh around 17lbs each? ...
The Campagnolo Daytonas weigh 12 lbs. each, not 17 lbs. (I even have my race tires on Campy Daytonas.)

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I wish there was a 14" Phonedial wheel (other than the hubcaps). That was my favorite design other than the standard steel wheels with chrome centers. Hopefully nobody flames me!

I'm not a big fan of those Vials... lots of work to clean and way too 80s looking for a 60s designed car!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
When the 15 in. phonedials were introduced in '86, as a Quad exclusive wheel, they were a huge hit. Back then, they were even more expensive than they are today (although they are very hard to find new anymore), so it was prohibitively expensive to retrofit an old Spider or upgrade a newer one. As time went by, a few wheel companies produced aftermarket versions of the phone dials, in the original 15 in. size, as well as in a 14 in. size. These looked good, but never as good as the OEM version - at least that always seemed to be the consensus. Today, it's fairly well known that they are a very heavy wheel, so some have ditched them in favor of a lighter alternative. However, on a street car, I can't see how the heavier weight makes any difference.

As far as the old style steel wheels, just like the phonedials, they have also been a favorite. One can certainly see the similarity between the two, and now there is a modern version that Alfaholics produces, and these are also sold in the U.S. A nice alternative, indeed.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
When the 15 in. phonedials were introduced in '86, as a Quad exclusive wheel, they were a huge hit. Back then, they were even more expensive than they are today (although they are very hard to find new anymore), so it was prohibitively expensive to retrofit an old Spider or upgrade a newer one. As time went by, a few wheel companies produced aftermarket versions of the phone dials, in the original 15 in. size, as well as in a 14 in. size. These looked good, but never as good as the OEM version - at least that always seemed to be the consensus. Today, it's fairly well known that they are a very heavy wheel, so some have ditched them in favor of a lighter alternative. However, on a street car, I can't see how the heavier weight makes any difference.

As far as the old style steel wheels, just like the phonedials, they have also been a favorite. One can certainly see the similarity between the two, and now there is a modern version that Alfaholics produces, and these are also sold in the U.S. A nice alternative, indeed.

Best regards,
14" Phonedials? Really? Any idea who made/makes them?

I liked the steel wheels... my first Spider came with bad shape four-spoke BWAs; I replaced them with a set of steel wheels and center caps. Never got the chrome trim rings. I'm a purist... they are my favorite look. Here's a photo of that rusty Spider...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

I liked the steel wheels...
I'm pretty sure Spider Point in Germany used to sell a 14 in. version, but it doesn't look nearly as good as the original Alfa wheel. Serpent Auto Sport (California) sells the modern replica of the original GTA steel wheels, and they are made for tubeless tires and look very cool.

Best regards,

·
Registered
460 Posts

I liked the steel wheels... my first Spider came with bad shape four-spoke BWAs; I replaced them with a set of steel wheels and center caps. Never got the chrome trim rings. I'm a purist... they are my favorite look. Here's a photo of that rusty Spider...

I have those 4 spoke BWA -

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sorry but DD's hub caps are awful. My personal choice would be Panasports.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts