Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I'm a newbie here and just acquired 2 Spiders recently (1980 and 1973). The 1980 has been sitting for about 20 years and needs full replacement of the cooling system (waterpump, radiator, thermostat, hoses, etc...). It looks like waterpumps are out of stock from most of the online vendors. Is there a shortage of these or am I just not looking hard enough? Are there alternative waterpumps that will work on my 1980?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Have you tried Classic Alfa UK, Centerline, Alfaholics, Alfa Parts Exchange (APE), Autoricambi, Vicks Auto Parts, Highwood Alfa, and so on,, Google 7 you might find a few to choose from.
Are you in need of a complete water pump, or do you have one that can be rebuilt? Maybe checking your area for machinist that will rebuild your pump,, could be an option?
besides, you say you have 2 Spiders.
These are old and classic vehicles and most of us have to do some scrounging at times but occasionally we find a replacement ready to go. Cost, of course then becomes an issue ^. It's all in the pocketbook as to which route to take.

And, Welcome to the BB

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Hi all - I'm a newbie here and just acquired 2 Spiders recently (1980 and 1973). The 1980 has been sitting for about 20 years and needs full replacement of the cooling system (waterpump, radiator, thermostat, hoses, etc...). It looks like waterpumps are out of stock from most of the online vendors. Is there a shortage of these or am I just not looking hard enough? Are there alternative waterpumps that will work on my 1980?

Thanks in advance!
Only the U.S. cars use this type from 1969 to 1990. Supplies are running out at vendors. I've heard another run is being made. But who knows when the date will be on that. If you find some. I would get 2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi - Thanks all, I appreciate all of your insights. My pump is the one with the fan attachment. I'm not sure it can be rebuilt as my pump is frozen solid - I suspect that it's rusted solid. I'll check out the AlfaUK site to see if I can grab one from them.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Those rebuilders aren't generally concerned about frozen water pumps. call and ask them.

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
It looks like waterpumps are out of stock from most of the online vendors. Is there a shortage of these or am I just not looking hard enough?
Without knowing which online vendors you have checked with, it's tough to advise you further. Classic Alfa, the UK -based parts supplier mentioned by SkiBum in post #4 - shows p/n WA047 that fits Spica equipped cars, but my-oh-my is it pricey ($207 versus $70-something for their other Alfa pumps).

Are there alternative waterpumps that will work on my 1980?
Not sure what "alternative" means in this context. If you're asking whether some Mitsubishi or Renault pump might fit, the answer is "no".

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It seems the most difficult pump to find generally is the one for Spica equipped Spiders.
That's why I suggested the rebuilder in Arizona.
Perhaps we should be saving those water pump cores and/or sending off the ones we do find to a rebuilder and then selling them for a tidy profit. That way, we would always be able to find good rebuilt pumps very easily. And, owners of those cars wouldn't have to be bothered with sending their core pumps off.....

·
Premium Member
13,177 Posts
Another reason to be smug about having converted to Webers.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
I might have one, will check tomorrow. $199.90 If not in stock I have some coming in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,

Thanks for you help. I decided to send my pump out to be rebuilt for about $140. I'll report in a few weeks once I get it back and installed.

Unfortunately when I checked stock it seems most places are out of the pump for my car. I found Classic Alfa but $200 seems like a lot for a water pump. I also found one on eBay for $380 which seems like way too much.

Thanks!

·
Push hard and live
8,994 Posts
Flying Dutchman

I’ve used them to rebuild a bunch of pumps for cast iron 2000’s. Price about half of the aftermarket rebuild kit, plus you get new impeller, and the whole pump looks brand new. Quick turnaround, also.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
As a pump rebuilder, my suggestions seem to be popular. If the car is NOT a concourse show car or driven quite a bit a quality aftermarket pump is much less costly than rebuilding an original. Save the original core with the car, but use a good aftermarket pump. I have customers that "want" the original, and I've rebuilt for them to keep the original with the car, not in use.

·
Push hard and live
8,994 Posts
Gordon.... It's hard to imagine anyone actually recognizing a non-oe water pump. I suppose it's possible, but under the belts, fan blades, etc?

If I recall, Flying Dutchman charged me something around $100 to rebuild my original cast-iron 2000 pumps. Maybe $140? Don't recall all that well any more. I now have several fresh ones in stock.

With new Spica-engine pumps at $200, I'd certainly send the original to them for overhaul.

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Pretty easy to spot, particularly on the 750 & 101-1300, 101 & 105 1600 and other 105's as the aftermarket castings are different. You are correct in that the more "stuff" on the newer cars can hide casting differences.

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
The pumps for the U.S. cars from 69 to 90 were made by Spica. The casting for them were were thicker and nicer then the current aftermarket ones. For me there easy to recognize.

With the stock of them running out. I know several of the suppliers are now out of them and whatever is on the shelf at the other parts sellers is it. There is talk of another run being done but several of the suppliers have to get together and buy most or all of the run.

With that being said they are not a big seller in Europe because on the 4 cylinders that have Spica or Bosch injection use them. All the real carb cars use a different pump.

Someone said convert it to webers. But if you have done that and still have the Spica cover or the Bosch cover and kept your A/C. Guess what. You still need this style pump.

AS I posted earlier all U.S. spec cars from 1969 to 1990 Spica and Bosch injected use this pump. There is no other alternative.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts