Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm now beggining to understand why this section of the forum is so rich. I've never had to spend so much time with a voltmeter and under the dashboard with my Volvo... :eek:

It's a 1984 2.0 Euro Spider Veloce (Electronic ignition, carbs)

The problem started by me noticing I had about 6.4v at the coil when it should have been 12v. Disconnecting the radio seemed to solve the problem (for a few turns of the key), but it clearly came back...

Now I recon I have an intermittent problem -

Voltage at fuses all read 12.5 - 11.3v except fuses 6,7,8 that read anything between 7.2 - 4.5v.

I spent the evening with electrical cleaner going over all the connectors I could find, as well as pouring over the wiring diagram. Things did seem to improve (hit rate getting 12v when turning the ignition key increases)

One connector looked suspicious (the one the PO wired in the radio).

Any ideas what this problem is consistent with (ex: a faulty relay, a fried wire...) ?

The car does not have electric windows or airconditionning. I can take photos tonight if that can help diagnostics. Thanks to any kind soul that can help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some pictures underdash

Well I now seem to have consistently 12 or so volts at all my fuses and at the coil. I'm still not confident :(, and expect I actually still have a problem as the pictures illustrate :

This is the underdash area - does everybody's look this bad ?

A suspicious connector (that connects the small instruments, and in this case the radio) to the main wiring loom

And here is the modified connector - the bridge on the left looks like it is on a pink wire.

Finally, here is the strange connection :

Another illustration - any idea what this home-made connector does ?

Thanks for any pointers

·
Administrator
16,633 Posts
I claim no expertise in things electrical - growing up with MG's I'm mostly limited to the Smoke Theory of Electricity...!

I can suggest you send a PM to BB member PapaJam. Ask if he has one of his excellent color coded wire diagrams for your model Spider. If so, it will prove invaluable in sorting out your Spider's wire mysteries.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion. I posted the wiring diagram on the Forum a few days ago and Jim replied saying he would make a colour-coded version.

Having owned numerous British cars in the past, I can relate to the "smoke theory" :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..on the 'homemade' conection...looks lide a stereo interface with the car..nicely done:)
You're right, on closer examination those are black and white speaker wires. I replaced the whole "connector" after having soldered all the wires.

I think the bridge off the other connector is a problem though - my fuse number 7 (dash lights) blows easily. I've put a 16a fuse in it's place, but that is obviously not the solution. I'm downloading the manual for the Radio (a Sony XR-C4120) and will study the wiring pages attentively. My plan will be to make sure the radio (and CD changer) get their power form somewhere else than that connector.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts