Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know a whole lot about 17 digit VINs required for the US since '81. It is my understanding that the last six digits are the sequence/serial number of the vehicle (for all cars).

A couple of questions:

- My Spider, assembled in July '86, ends in 048082. I would have thought that July '86 would be towards the beginning of Spider production for 1987. But my serial number would lead me to believe that my Spider was the 48,082th Spider produced. When did the number reset to 000000?

- I found this Spider on eBay (the one from the overspray thread).

Note that the VIN tag ends in 000028 and that the build date is March '89 (the Spider Veloce is an '89 and I see no reason to believe the VIN plate has been faked, etc). This Spider looks like the 28th Spider produced... but in March?

So... do the serial numbers start over in March? I doubt it since I don't think Alfa produced 48,000 Spiders between March and July 1986!

Can anyone shed some light on this? Also, the 6 prior to 000028 in the above VIN should correspond to the factory. But the literature I have found says that 1 is the Arese factory (and 2 is Napoli). Is 6 also Arese?

For good reference on VINs (if this kind of thing interests you), see this PDF: http://www.mitchellsupport.com/ondemand5/VIN/VIN.pdf

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As a side note, I realize that 48,000 Spiders are not produced per year. I don't have specific production figures in front of me, though I understand they are included in Chris Rees' book (which I should be receiving early this week).

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Normally VIN No’s are in series and each series starts from 0001 or 101. Series ID are different to the various markers or groups, i.e. Alfa had series for US, RHD and LHD no US, but might have had more series on later versions. Series No’s were different on engine sizes and other significant changes over the years, too, and restarted from zero for each new serie introduced.
The photo shows a car build after the Fiat take over in 1986, when the ZAR prefix was introduced (Fiats are ZFA). Before that, prefixes denoted the series version codes
Erik

·
Registered
520 Posts
hey what was that alfaromeo email address that you could email them your VIN and they send you back what information they have on it??

ive heard it given out before. anyone know?

·
Registered
520 Posts
thanks enrique!

hey so ive been cursing your name since losing that damned ebay auction for the tonneau cover.

sorry to derail, but did you find it to be a good fit?? what manufacturer is it? infos!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
thanks enrique!

hey so ive been cursing your name since losing that damned ebay auction for the tonneau cover.

sorry to derail, but did you find it to be a good fit?? what manufacturer is it? infos!
Guido,
I didn't want to go off-topic here, so I responded to your post in the Spider Tonneau Cover thread...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, my questions have been more or less answered by Chris Rees' "ORiginal Alfa Romeo Spider" book.

Just showed up yesterday... an excellent addition to the collection. Some of the details about US S3 Spiders are a little weak, but overall excellent information.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aha, didn't know that, thanks. I am mostly focusing on the Round-tails, Duettos. I'll alter accordingly.

Wille, is that your Duetto?

I've enjoyed your site and I found it helpful when I bought my first Spider in 2005. I've accumulated a fair amount of S3/S4 knowledge (mostly thanks to this forum). Have you seen my site? If you click on Timeline, you'll see a year-by-year list of changes made to US-spec S3 Spiders. It's not fully accurate, but it's pretty close... and I think it's more accurate than Chris Rees' book. It was mostly done by personal observation of cars and by members of the BB.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have a number that is different than the VIN on a little plate welded to the body of the car between the fuel tank and the spare tire well in my '91 Spider. What is this number and what was it used for? It is on all Spiders? A Body number?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a number that is different than the VIN on a little plate welded to the body of the car between the fuel tank and the spare tire well in my '91 Spider. What is this number and what was it used for? It is on all Spiders? A Body number?
Good question! It's on every S3 or S4 I've seen, too. Never looked on a Duetto or S2.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wille, is that your Duetto?

I've enjoyed your site and I found it helpful when I bought my first Spider in 2005. I've accumulated a fair amount of S3/S4 knowledge (mostly thanks to this forum). Have you seen my site? If you click on Timeline, you'll see a year-by-year list of changes made to US-spec S3 Spiders. It's not fully accurate, but it's pretty close... and I think it's more accurate than Chris Rees' book. It was mostly done by personal observation of cars and by members of the BB.
Yepp, it's my Duetto. I'm sitting to the left enjoyiong myself in Toscany, near a small town by the name of Poppi. My wife and I are on our way back to Verona after five weeks in Puglia and Rome. We had a great time. www.veloce.se Alfa Romeo Spider Italian Tour 2006 Rome

Nice sites you have made.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wille,

Great photos! You were there just a few months after I was (though I was in a rented Fiat Panda, not a Spider!).

I would love it if some of the American enthusiasts could get together with our European counterparts... an international Alfa Spider meeting that spans several continents.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wille,

Great photos! You were there just a few months after I was (though I was in a rented Fiat Panda, not a Spider!).

I would love it if some of the American enthusiasts could get together with our European counterparts... an international Alfa Spider meeting that spans several continents.

:) Well, I've had quite a few international Duetto/Spider meetings over the last ten years, here in Europe. The Limburg meetings have been great, arranged by Alfa Romeo Spider Register - Welkom op onze Website and loads of reading and pics here: http://www.veloce.se/limburg/limb.htm

Then we have the meetings arranged by the :: Duetto Club Italia :: and the Codatronca.com Just keep your eyes open and join. We have had a number of US alfisti, but so far no US Duetto yet. But loads of Duettos from France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Luxembourg, Italy and so on.

Funny we didn't meet. :) but Italy is quite a big country.

Cheers

·
Registered
326 Posts
In an earlier post I read the zar in the vin came about after fiat bought alfa in 1986, but I have an 82 with zar in the vin, and when I punch it into the vin decoder it states alfa/fiat. What gives?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
When I checked the "Win View" I realized that the prefix ZAR didn't have anything to do with Fiat's takeover of Alfa, but part of a presummely international code system.
So Alfas have had the ZAR prefix since before ????? and Fiat's takeover.
Erik

1 - 20 of 21 Posts