Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the latches on the vent windows to stay glued onto the glass? I tried mirror adhesive and cleaned everything as I always have, then waited a couple of days before trying to latch the windows but they came off. One fell off after a week and the other came off when i tried to latch the window.
Temperatures were in the 70s and 80s so that should not be an issue.

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with your question but here is my take on it. I bought mine with the latches in the glove box. Someone had obviously tried to glue them with similar results as you. Are you worried about security? It's a convertible! My wing windows close and seal just fine without those latches.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I glued mine myself 3 times, always being sure to buy fresh glue, cleaning meticulously, and clamping overnight. Sometimes it held for months, but it always fell off. I took it to a professional auto-glass ship, they fixed it for $20, and it's stayed on for 18 months now.

David O'D
Laguna CA

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My GTA Junior has the same window latches. I don't recall which rear view mirror adhesive I used, but have had success (so far) with them staying in place. First read the instructions, different brands use different techniques. I lightly sand the button to be attached, and scrape with a razor blade the area on the glass where the button is to be applied. Most require that the button be attached and not moved for like a minimum of 5 minutes, which seems like 5 days if your holding it. I went to Walmart and bought a large plastic spring loaded clamp I used to hold the latch in place for 24 hours. Seems to work as I effed up one latch, installing it in the closed position. Getting the latch to release from the bond was a challenge, and I have seen some vent windows where the bond was so strong it actually pulled shards of glass. Also when opening and closing theses windows I have been advised to move the glass by hand and not the latch to reduce strain on the bond. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get the latches on the vent windows to stay glued onto the glass? I tried mirror adhesive and cleaned everything as I always have, then waited a couple of days before trying to latch the windows but they came off. One fell off after a week and the other came off when i tried to latch the window.
Temperatures were in the 70s and 80s so that should not be an issue.

Thanks

Greg
Hey Greg -

Try using a KlingOn Rearview Mirror adhesive kit. It's a 2 part process, primer and adhesive. Follow the instructions on the primer bottle. You will need a magnifying glass to read them though.

- Drew

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. I used Loctite mirror adhesive. I used it in the past on a Fiat with good results.
Not worried about break ins so much but don;'t want to make it too easy. Just like to have things functioning like they did originally.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
....Not worried about break ins so much but don;'t want to make it too easy. Just like to have things functioning like they did originally.
You have a soft-top. A strong fist or a pocket knife is enough to get in. Don't count on vent window latches to help at all.

When my very secure Mercedes 560 SEC with alarm and owner calling, ignition defeat, police tracking, etc. was entered in about 0.4 seconds by whacking the tempered glass of the drivers window. Grabbed my iPod, pulled the radio (screwing up the dash wiring deeply into FUBAR), grabbed a handful of car wash quarters, and were gone in less than 1½ minutes. The 2 minute alarm reset hadn't even been triggered - I got there before that. And the car was inside my garage! (Well, it's a shared garage in my Townhouse group).

Robert

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with your question but here is my take on it. I bought mine with the latches in the glove box. Someone had obviously tried to glue them with similar results as you. Are you worried about security? It's a convertible! My wing windows close and seal just fine without those latches.
I dont have any vent window latches...werent there when I bought the car....work fine as is....not worried about them , as its a convertible, = easy to cut thru top....I usually dont lock the car anyway , and mostly its in locked garage...when travelling , just not keeping things visible , and so far...knock on wood,(my head) , no problems

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I had to re-attach the passenger wing/vent window on my Spider after I bought it. I knew there was a lot of tension on the union between the lever and the glass, so I visited the top local auto glass shop in my city (they do insurance work for all the dealerships) to find out what they used. Here's what they told me:

Use only the 3M product, and make sure to check the manufacture date on the package. You don't want a tube manufactured several years ago. Get one that was produced within the last 2 years - the most current the better. And follow the directions to the letter - the glass and the mating metal surface on the latch must both be super clean - after removing any old adhesive with a razor blade, wash them with household glass cleaner, then use rubbing alcohol - twice!

To prepare the placement, determine the correct location for the latch and mark the opposite side of the glass with a Sharpie accordingly, so that once you apply the glue you can put the latch in exactly the correct location quickly, and you will know where to hold it while it sets up. Since I only had to replace one latch, I measured the placement (from both bottom and outer edge) of the intact latch on my driver's vent window and marked my passenger glass to match.

Before applying the adhesive, make sure the clocking of the latch is set correctly for the position you will be glueing it in - you don't want to glue the latch with the tang facing the edge (in the locked position) and then come to find out later that the latch was not actually locked when you glued it down (or vice-versa).

Mine has held tight for 3 years so far, but like others I don't really like to tug on the latch when closing the wing window. I push them closed from the outside first.

Good luck,

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I'm waiting for mine to fall off one day!

....got it's position already marked though:grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
One other thing comes to mind...new rubber gaskets...If they aren't as compliant (rarely are) or slightly off on the more robust side, it is going to add more pressure on the latch.. I agree we all want things to operate as they should but reason has to be part of the equation and leaving them unlatched does make sense. Even from the factory they failed, so all is not completely 100% perfect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I picked this product up from Ebay UK. Its called MANNOL. 9934 Rear Mirror Adhesive. Its a two part product with a primer on a tissue which you clean the latch and glass with, wait a couple of minutes then apply one tiny blob of the adhesive to the latch and hold firmy to the glass for two minutes then leave for around 15. I have to say that of all the other adhesives I have used this is really strong and clear. Its made in Germany and has a shelf life of two years.
Hope this provides a solution for somebody!

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Adding my $0.02 After living with the latches in the glove box for years, I decided to glue them back on. Same day, same 3M product. Waited 24 hours to close the vents. Both vents closed, both with similar tension (not too much). Car sat for about a week in the garage, and upon my next visit, one had popped off taking a nice chunk of glass with it. I was thinking about installing it above the original spot, above the divot. I decided no. Now, its about 10 years later and the one is still attached and the other one has been happily stored back in the glove box.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't even have those...were missing when I bought car....don't see a need for them, windows pop in place and can operate, but closed just look like they are non operable....as for being able to lock those, I don't care, I don't lock he car anyway , as if someone wants in , they would/could just cut the top.....

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't even have those...were missing when I bought car....don't see a need for them, windows pop in place and can operate, but closed just look like they are non operable....as for being able to lock those, I don't care, I don't lock he car anyway , as if someone wants in , they would/could just cut the top.....
Exactly. Unless you have a hard top you are just inviting someone to go though the top... I only wish I could get the adhesive off the glass some PO gooped on

1 - 20 of 25 Posts