Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I notice that the part shops like Centerline and IAP sell visors for the SV but say that they are not the same as OEM but fit. My question is what is the difference between the OEM and the ones you can buy?

Pictures will help.

Thanks
ED

ps: Here are a few pics of my car

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am not an expert and others may have more factual answer but this is what I have learned. My sense is that it is different construction technique. The originals (I used to own an 85 Veloce and now own a 78 Spider) is that the original vinyl cover wraps around a frame with some sort of filler. The vinyl separates from the filler ad you end up (over the years) with a floppy bag for a visor. The new reproductions are pressed and do not have wire frame and will not become floppy. Also, the pins in the originals were metal and the reproductions are black plastic. Most people I have talked to actually buy the Fiat visor pins because they are metal. They fit better and the visor holds up in the wind better. With the black plastic, everyone seems to always be asking how to get them to stay up in the windstream and not fall. My 78 driverside visor has a large yellow Alfa stamp with instructions and disclaimers. I do not think the IAP visors have that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
By the way. Nice looking vehicle. I love those S3 versions with the guages above the radio versus the later air vents. Also like the dual tach and speedometer versus the single cluster of the later years.

Tom

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
In addition to what Navy 15 says, there are several variations on the spider sunvisor theme over the years. Some are plain black on both sides, some have small make-up mirror on the up side so people (females I would supppose) can make up with the visor down. The later Quads have a lighted make-up mirror on the passengers side with a flip up cover over the mirror and a tiny on-off switch for the light. This is pretty much too much candy for a nickel.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts