Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the 75mm Alfa emblem on 87 spider.
How do you remove it from the trunk lid?
Help :D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The emblem is stuck to the trunk by double backed tape.
Preheat carefully the emblem with a hair dryer, to soften the adhesive.
Use fishing line to slip under the badge between the trunk and the emblem.
Remove any left adhesive with mineral spirits and rubbing with your fingers.
Elio

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.:):)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Braided stainless steel fishing leader saws through the adhesive like butter. Tape off the surronding paint just in case of a FU.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,023 Posts
Well, either you're stronger than me or you had a different glob of adhesive, Aldo. I tried to use metal wire to carefully cut through and it didn't do squat. Plus the emblem is down in a recess in the trunk lid, so I was really concerned about damaging the paint on the lip by doing this (tape is not going to protect it from sawing with wire). I stopped and followed the Alfa TSB procedure: it was pretty brutal looking but worked like a charm.

That glue was STRONG. Again, this is for the S4 though so it doesn't apply to the original poster's query.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
This is probably to thick for this application but it's the same sawing principle. Braided leaders are much finer.
This cuts PVC pipe.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you knew a chick who uses the pictured glassmans' tool for grooming, she must have had big hands, was her name Lola?
Sorry, I didn't see the ruler or anything else to use as a reference for scale sitting next to it :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Emblem removal

The guitar string worked like a charm.
Make sure you use the wound type of string.
The adhesive they use is silicone and they are very generous in its use.
Thank you all.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Thanks again to the helpful tips on this BB, I was able to replace my badge yesterday. Here are some pictures.

I taped up around the old one, used a hair dryer to warm everything up and rigged a string to do the separation. Broke the string about four times, but managed to get it separated.

Picture two shows the black goop on the bottom of the old badge. I used some AR 856 touch up paint to repair a little chipping around the edges before I glued on the new one.

Final picture shows the new badge and the old badge with chipped white paint. All happy now!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello everyone.

This is my first post, as I bought my first Alfa a month ago and I'm doing a mainly cosmetic restoration. The car will be repainted, and as the trunk emblem is sun faded, I'm using the opportunity to replace it too. My question is about the adhesive. I read one poster talking about double sided tape and another showed an old emblem that clearly had been applied as a liquid. Is there any difference between the two in suitability? I'm thinking long term for the next time the emblem must be removed.

As a side note, I've been reading this forum for several months now and I'm impressed with how active the owners are. I'm hoping to make my own contributions as I become more familiar with this very beautiful car.

Thank you for all your posts!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The new two sided tape came on the new Emblem that I bought from Classic Alfas. I just had to peel off the protective paper and apply it.

It is interesting that my post was the last one before yours. I have noticed that the clear plastic is a frequent point of failure on the trunk badges of S3 Spiders. Once that plastic goes, the white paint on the badge starts to go.

Good luck -

John

Reactions: PJ Jumonville

·
Registered
18 Posts
The new two sided tape came on the new Emblem that I bought from Classic Alfas. I just had to peel off the protective paper and apply it.

It is interesting that my post was the last one before yours. I have noticed that the clear plastic is a frequent point of failure on the trunk badges of S3 Spiders. Once that plastic goes, the white paint on the badge starts to go.

Good luck -

John
Thanks John, My emblem had not started to peel just yet, but it's quite hazy and the clear coat on the car is in absolute shambles, as well as some of the base paint.

I'm buying my emblem from Classic Alfa too. There was no mention of tape included, but I've written to inquire. If not, I suppose I'll use the standard 3M 1/2in double sided mounting tape I've seen on the net.

By the way, nice S3. I'm inspired by you guys.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just replaced the front and back emblems. They came came off surprisingly easy using a small, flat tip screw stick. I put a very dry sponge under the screwdriver to keep from marring the paint and the emblems popped right off. Why a sponge you ask? Because it happened to be right on top of my tool box. Could have used cardboard or the like. Looks great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts