Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Standing at the rear of the car, looking into the open trunk (or boot as call it in the UK), on the left hand side rear wheel arch there is a small bolt/screw hole a few inches up from the floor.
Can anyone tell me what the hole was for?
It looks like the mounting point for something.
Thanks
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I don't think there was anything mounted there. Probably something done by p.o. does the hole have a captive nut (threaded)?

George

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks George.
I'm not seeing the car again until Sunday so I'll have a look then.
Regards
Alan

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
My 65 Veloce Spider has 4 holes used to mount two plastic or leather straps that hold the jack in place.
I think we are talking about the trunk, not behind the seats.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am referring to the straps mounted on the left wheel arch within the trunk - I believe these straps hold the jack and/or the tool roll.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I am referring to the straps mounted on the left wheel arch within the trunk - I believe these straps hold the jack and/or the tool roll.
Not on spiders they didn't; As far as I know they were all behind the passenger seat next to the spare tire. Besides, Allen only has one hole in the trunk (no pun intended). 330.gtc I will ask you the same question, do the holes, on the left wheel arch within the trunk, have captive nuts behind the sheet metal (threaded)?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, I was not there to receive the car from the dealer, but my close friend was and I think (but I am not sure) he has not modified this 26,000 mile car, as he is not mechanically minded. I cannot remember if my '64 Spider had this mounting mechanism in the trunk.

·
Registered
374 Posts
George, I did not answer your question completely. The 4 screws I have in the left rear wheel arch are sheet metal screws that penetrate the wheel arch sheet metal and extend about 1/4 inch into the wheel well. They have very thin washers about 30 mm in diameter (wafer like) and a upholstery-like washer between the screw and the large wafer like washer. These screws are in two horizontal sets, with each set holding on a leather or plastic strap.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
George, I did not answer your question completely. The 4 screws I have in the left rear wheel arch are sheet metal screws that penetrate the wheel arch sheet metal and extend about 1/4 inch into the wheel well. They have very thin washers about 30 mm in diameter (wafer like) and a upholstery-like washer between the screw and the large wafer like washer. These screws are in two horizontal sets, with each set holding on a leather or plastic strap.
Thanks. My guess is that the holes are NOT factory, but added at some time later. I don't recall ANY sheet metal screws anywhere on these cars. All holes I have seen are for screws or bolts and have a captive nut on the backside of the sheet metal.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Thanks. My guess is that the holes are NOT factory, but added at some time later and yet the straps look original. I don't recall ANY sheet metal screws anywhere on these cars. All holes I have seen are for screws or bolts and have a captive nut on the backside of the sheet metal.
George, "ANY" in caps is pretty absolute. If you don't recall, may I freshen your memory..there were many..

To 330GTC---is this what you mean? I surmise some early race cars came that way or were converted to remove flying objects in the ****pit probably by the driver. They had some weird rules in those days like cutting of the bumper mounts for safety sake. My car came with restraint anchor points from the factory in 1958. I know of at least one leather seated 750 Spider that came from the factory....that car is in Illinois and is owned by Carl Davis.

Furthermore, my '57 Sprint was painted at the factory Biarritz Blue. I defy anyone to say that color was not a factory color as it doesn't show up on any factory pallet including Evan Wilson's book. The archives says it was painted that color. I matched it .. It will be at Lexington.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the photo Divotandtralee; my straps are mounted on the curved portion of the wheel well, not the flat side as your photo shows, BUT the straps look similar. Are your straps held on by sheet metal screws and large flat washers?

I plan on driving my car to Lexington in July, so we can compare notes and cars.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Thanks for the photo Divotandtralee; my straps are mounted on the curved portion of the wheel well, not the flat side as your photo shows, BUT the straps look similar. Are your straps held on by sheet metal screws and large flat washers?

I plan on driving my car to Lexington in July, so we can compare notes and cars.
No they're mounted properly behind the seat now.. this was a a photo taken in the early eighties before the car was preserved ...not as a race car, but as a street car. I think it is fair to say these two examples DO NOT present enough support evidence that this was a regular mounting point for the jack. In the early days some owners wouldn't have had a parts book or owners manual or even a jack and when they found the jack they just concluded it needed to be attached somewhere..only a far fetched uninformed guess. does that sound reasonable?

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's no captive nut, and there is a small square of weld around the hole (see pic)
Alan

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to post some pics of the car on my other thread about the restoration - if I can find it!

·
Premium Member
1,555 Posts
I know this thread is rather old, but has anyone seen photos of that car is in Illinois and is owned by a Mr. Carl Davis? Do other BB members happened to know Mr. Davis? I would what his Spider's color combination happens to be?

Thanks,

Ray

How long does it take to qualify as a "nephew"?

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Nephew? you are one.. Anyone who contributes to my love of these cars is a nephew.. all you have to do is share your love and your experiences with them in this forum and not just take without giving. It works like the penny plate at the cash register. Take when you need one; give when you don't. U.

Carl Davis goes by carl750.. I was hoping he would weigh in on the leather question as he claims his car came from the factory with it but no Carl. I've only known him personally since 1981 when we both lived in Illinois. He bought the first used Alfa part I ever sold. He moved from Bloomington Il to Galena when he retired.. I guess we've been more than just friends.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts