Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, just trying to gather knowledge, can a gearbox from a 1987 spider, with 80k miles successfully fit and function in a 1988 spider Veloce with just under 80k original miles. Please let me know, and I would like some tips on what parts to transfer to new trans. Thanks in advance Alfa Gods.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello guys, just trying to gather knowledge, can a gearbox from a 1987 spider, with 80k miles successfully fit and function in a 1988 spider Veloce with just under 80k original miles. Please let me know, and I would like some tips on what parts to transfer to new trans. Thanks in advance Alfa Gods.
I’m talking about getting a donor complete transmission from an 87 to fit into a 88 engine and vehicle body.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Yes. It will work with no problems.

There is no difference between to two.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Nothing? What's the scoop here? I take it you have a "good" transmission that has problems and a "bad" transmission you intend to scavenge for parts? It really depends on what's wrong with the good one and what's still salvageable from the bad one. A tranny rebuild is a pretty big job though - I would try to use new parts where possible. But if you have a lot of experience with rebuilding transmissions just tear them both down and start inspecting the parts and figure out what the best combination is.....but I guess if that was the case you wouldn't be asking?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing? What's the scoop here? I take it you have a "good" transmission that has problems and a "bad" transmission you intend to scavenge for parts? It really depends on what's wrong with the good one and what's still salvageable from the bad one. A tranny rebuild is a pretty big job though - I would try to use new parts where possible. But if you have a lot of experience with rebuilding transmissions just tear them both down and start inspecting the parts and figure out what the best combination is.....but I guess if that was the case you wouldn't be asking?
Yes old tranny is stuck in gear so tryna put another tranny in there to work, but i don’t know if I can just unbolt it and bolt in the new one without replacing outter parts from old one

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Oh I see. No, they should be identical so nothing to transfer - there aren't a lot of exterior parts anyhow. You should put in a new tranny mount though - odds are its sacked out on both units. Clutch is a good "while you're in there" item but I know you're on a shoestring budget.

·
Administrator
16,776 Posts
The drivetrain of the Series 3 Spiders ('82-'89) is the same. The '82 - '84/'85 models are slightly different in the VVT operation and the earlier models have the dual pod dash vs the monopod of the later models. All other differences between the various models is in trim - leather seats vs vinyl, power windows vs manual and some external trim.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Yes old tranny is stuck in gear so tryna put another tranny in there to work, but i don’t know if I can just unbolt it and bolt in the new one without replacing outter parts from old one
well yes, you can, as Jim said in post 3

But, do you know what the condition of the "new" tranny is? Have you just bought one or has the seller confirmed it is a good transmission.....in which case bolt it right up.
It's a fair amount of work swopping trannies, so you need to know if the new one works, how well it works, ie. are the synchros good, bearing rumbles, etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The drivetrain of the Series 3 Spiders ('82-'89) is the same. The '82 - '84/'85 models are slightly different in the VVT operation and the earlier models have the dual pod dash vs the monopod of the later models. All other differences between the various models is in trim - leather seats vs vinyl, power windows vs
Oh I see. No, they should be identical so nothing to transfer - there aren't a lot of exterior parts anyhow. You should put in a new tranny mount though - odds are its sacked out on both units. Clutch is a good "while you're in there" item but I know you're on a shoestring budget.
well honestly I already has new clutch so will be using same

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same clutch just new trans, I have quotes that range from 500 to 700 what do y’all think? 700 has 56k miles

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Same clutch just new trans, I have quotes that range from 500 to 700 what do y’all think? 700 has 56k miles
I would not install a second hand gearbox without opening it up first (unless I had driven the car it came out of right before it was removed). There is far too much work involved in swapping gearboxes to take a chance on an unknown entity.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would not install a second hand gearbox without opening it up first (unless I had driven the car it came out of right before it was removed). There is far too much work involved in swapping gearboxes to take a chance on an unknown entity.
I have decided to get the transmission rebuilt by Rex himself. I know for sure everything will be perfect. Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate this Alfa BB

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Ed, +1

Why swap any parts with an unknown part. Given the effort required I would test the "good" transmission prior.
best of luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts