Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Quad, with the common 2nd gear syncro grind. I have tried the recommended oil change, with no luck.
So, I am looking to have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt transmission. So I am looking for recomendations, I found that Spurell Motor Works sell a rebuilt for $1275 plus core charge. Anyone bought one from here? Or is there a better option.

Thanks

Harry

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Harry,

I would suggest before you start throwing money at your transmission to try to "learn" to "Finesse" your gearbox. Almost all Alfas out there in the USA (except the 164) have 2nd gear synchro grind. Many of us get around this happily/easily with Double clutching, slowly shifting into gears etc... I would honestly try driver modifications first since this is a common problem and once mastered really doesnt affect the enjoyment of the car.

If you are "REALLY" wanting to spend the money, I would recommend the rebuilt unit from IAP... they are relatively reliable and come all set to install. Remember also that when the gearbox is taken down, the clutch and flywheel are usually done at the same time so factor that into your calculations if you proceed.

Best of luck!

PS. BTW, did you try over filling the transmission from above by taking the console apart? Ive seen this trick used on many an alfa to bathe crunchy gears into quiet submission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no problem driving it, just takes a slight delay between gears. It just drives me crazy that it is not right. I have been debating for a long time about spending the money on it or not. It has now come down to fixing it or selling it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The delay between gears is normal. Some call it "rowing" through the gears. 1950s technology. Brass bits between them - not your 2005 M3 type tranny...

I've been advised to pause briefly in nuetral. This slows the shifting, but makes the Revs match the appropriate gear. Becomes an incredibly enjoyable driving experience IMHO, as it forces me to relax while driving at pace.

If the slow (ALFA) shifts aren't your style, then that's ok. If double clutching isn't your idea of a good time, no worries. There are a lot of fun cars to drive out there. Just sell it as is.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I, too have found the second gear grind to be a trait of the the spider gearbox. I'd hate to see you spend money on a rebuild or used tranny only to find the issue still present. I think this is a 'live with it' or sell it decision.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Most folks don't realize that years of trying to "speed shift" like you see on car-race movies is the root cause of 2nd gear grinding. Alfa's never were a fast shifting TX - after all, look at the two foot long shift lever.......

Snapping thru the gears does not make the car go faster - most racers don't do it because missing an engagement has such a high penalty - a blown engine from over-reving. These cars are from the era when double-clutching was a skill expected of good sports car drivers.

Be gentle with the cars. Treat them like the exciting Italian women they are.

Robert

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If you want a rebuilt trans Spruell Motor Works probably knows more about Alfas than just about anybody. I haven't bought a gearbox from them but I've bought plenty of other stuff and been very happy with them as a vendor. They're good guys to work with and know their stuff.

Given the price difference I'd go with Spruell over IAP in a heartbeat.

·
Richard Jemison
7,772 Posts
Rebuilt Transmission

I have two rebuilt transmissions on the shelf. One has lightened gears, one stock gears.
Will sell the one with lightened gears for $1,500.00
The one with std gears for $1,200.00
Price does not inc. shipping.

·
Premium Member
14,796 Posts
Richard rebuilt my transmission and did a superb job. I highly recommend him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I bought my '86 Quad, an Alfisti advised me to always go through 2nd gear to shift into 1st. Never have had the gears grind since.
gdm

·
Premium Member
14,796 Posts
When I bought my '86 Quad, an Alfisti advised me to always go through 2nd gear to shift into 1st. Never have had the gears grind since.
That is because the standard 1st gear does not have the synchro that is used by the higher gears. Richard installed a 2/5 synchro on mine and there is now no need to go through that rigamarole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts