Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dyeing Spider Veloce boot to Black

Hi Listers:
Does anyone think that dyeing a tan spider veloce boot to black could be successful? I am just looking for alternatives to an expensive NEW one. thanks much

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was ready to do it

Finding a good black boot for my 86 quad was next to impossible. I bought a tan one and was going to dye it black. I think the secret is to use a dye "conditioner" on the vinyl to open the pores and allow better penetration of the dye. Based on what I read, you shouldn't have any problems if you use high quality materials. I'd try Eastwood. Fortunately, I got lucky and found a black one on the French ebay site.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Boot clips

Hi John I was looking at some old post and I came across your pictures of the black/red boot. Can you tell me what is holding down the front ( just behind the seats) of the boot? Are there clips and do you know if they are available? Just purchase a 92 Spider and they seem to be missing. Thank you so much
Nick

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Hi John I was looking at some old post and I came across your pictures of the black/red boot. Can you tell me what is holding down the front ( just behind the seats) of the boot? Are there clips and do you know if they are available? Just purchase a 92 Spider and they seem to be missing. Thank you so much
Nick
The boot cover is held down by the U shaped thing (more being aligned rather than held down, but it keeps it from moving from side to side) and 2 snaps. Here are some pictures. The corresponding snaps are found on the B pillar covers.

Black Veloce Driver Clip.jpg

side snaps.jpg

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Vin
Thank you very much. It looks like it had these brackets at one time. Now, no where to be found. Any thought on where I might be able to get these brackets? Thank you
Nick

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
I am pretty sure that those U hooks are metal but they were once sold made out of plastic.

I bought the plastic one to save a bit of cash and it broke in a month.

Make sure they are made of metal.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
The factory U hooks are plastic. I bought one several years back from Jon Norman ALFA PARTS - Alfa Romeo Parts, Spares, Accessories 800-890-ALFA, but broke it. IAP, now closed, used to sell metal U clips. Expensive at around $50 and very sharp edges that will scratch paint (ask me how I know). I need one more and wonder if Centerline will have these?

Regarding dying a top boot. I dyed my tan S4 boot with SEM flexible upholstery paint, and it has been great. No peeling, flaking or fading after two years of use.

I am pretty sure that those U hooks are metal but they were once sold made out of plastic.

I bought the plastic one to save a bit of cash and it broke in a month.

Make sure they are made of metal.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all for your help on the convertible boot problem.
I found some metal ones. To expensive for me. $50 each is a lot. I love my Alfa but that is a little to much. Thanks
Nick

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Nick,

Where did you find the metal U clips?

Thank you all for your help on the convertible boot problem.
I found some metal ones. To expensive for me. $50 each is a lot. I love my Alfa but that is a little to much. Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
11 Posts
He has the metal clips. $50
mrfiat.com/alfa-romeo-spider

Highwoodalfa

There price seems to be better. I have not called them

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had the plastic clips for 28 years. Use care, and they will last. The metal WILL scratch the RED go fast paint..so I will stick to the plastic

21 - 33 of 33 Posts