Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha Guys,
I have an 87 Spider Quad, and I have seen a couple ads, for top boots to cover my new rag top recently installed. My question. The ad says, ... fits 91 through etc. model spiders, but may fit other years. I can't really see much difference in looking at the pics, so .. my question, does anyone know how universal those top boots are when matching different years of the spiders?

Thanks, Jack

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Jack:

There are two types of boot covers.

One like on my 78 that clips onto the chrome surround for the top:

On 91-94 spiders you would have to add strap hold down retainer. This one runs around $150 and higher depending where you find it.

And there is another one like on the Quads and 91-94 Spider Veloce that hooks onto the chrome acorns on the hardtop plate. This type has a hard plastic shell for the sides and a rear deck drape. Here is a picture of that:

This more modern boot will fit older spiders with the addition of a few snaps and the chrome acorns. Boot costs around $350 and higher. Snaps from the upholstry shops. OKParts.net has the chrome acorns:

Both are pretty easy to install and really add to the look of the car. I believe the old style is correct for your year car, but the new style boot would look extremely nice and was available on the Quad.

Hope this helps,

John M

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks John,
Nice pic's. Yes the more modern boot would definately get the attention, and does add to that clean look. I saw a boot in IAP, and the one for the Quad was at least double the rest, $625, and not even leather, leaving me confused. Mine I am sure uses the clip system. Any reccommeded upholstry shops?. I bought my rag top from Caribou, and it took awhile ,but I got it, and he list's a boot, for ($189, I think), but I am sure it is not leather like yours, and not nearly as nice.
One additional note, I just read the thread on upgrading your headlights. Good jog on the restoration, inspiring, as I am just passed the point of having had the top fly off, (and now replaced). But the headlights are next, and I am going to go the route of the Sylvainia's, but as you said, I will need to buy housings, so I assume that any 7" H3 will do? , but what about the different styles of glass patterns, any suggestions?

Getting some good info on a Sunday morning, despite the fact that the oil is still waiting to be changed.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Jack:

Thanks for the compliments!

The boot on my 92 (the nicer boot) is from IAP. I bought it for under $400 from them. Ask for black 91-94 Spider Veloce for that one. They have them in stock. OKP has original black but w/ black stitching like the nicer one from IAP for around $360 euros.

On the HIDs, I purchased the sylvania xenarc system from sylvania for my 92. They 78 has halogen housings w/ H4 dual beam moving reflector HID bulbs. The sylvania system comes with the housings, HID bulbs, ballasts, and all the wiring necessary to hook them up. They also have a seperate halogen bulb within the housing for high beam. Check out this thread:

Sylvania Xenarc upgrade on my 92 and comparison to 78

I really like those sylvania HIDs and best of all only cost $300 for the entire kit.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read this thread and forwarded a PM to John with detailed questions about how to fit the upscale Quad boot obviously intended to bee fool proof. I am including his answer and follow-up to the string because, as usual, John’s contribution is very helpful.

Background: We purchased an 87 Quad last September. The boot was partially disassembled when I received it and one of the plastic stiffeners was broken. With the magic of trim adhesive and aluminum flashing, I mended the one stiffener and re-attached the stiffener to the boot vinyl. Now ready to mount the newly mended boot, I was at a loss to figure out how the thing attached.

When I put the boot’s rear bracket onto the hooks mounted on the chrome strip just aft of the ****pit on each side, the forward part extended beyond where there was anything for the clips to attach. I searched the bb for boot and came across a string where John M had pics of his boot. Here is excerpts of John’s response- great stuff!

The Quad came with the fancy boot cover that you have and a hardtop. Those chrome plates between the rear window and the trunk are the plates that the hardtop rides on. Through the two screw holes nearest the rear window is where you screw on the attachment for either the hardtop or the boot cover. The hardtop attachment that goes on that chrome plate looks like a hook that is covered in plastic. Almost rectangular body with triangle solid hook elevated. This is to capture the rear of the hardtop. For the top boot, those hardtop hooks must be removed that the chrome balls used to replace them. The chrome balls slide up into that riveted hook on the top boot.

Now if you have the hardtop as well....look under the plastic top boot cover on the sides. You'll see where you store the hardtop hooks or the boot chrome balls depending on which you are using.

The full top boot that comes to the back of the seats does have a hard plastic shell that forms the sides and a bungee cord that runs from the left plastic shell to the right plastic shell. The boot secures in the back on the chrome balls and secures in the front via the plastic forks that slide onto the stowed top frame and snaps down the b pillar trim. That is it. Nothing else. No plastic clips on the stainless top surround like on the lesser boot cover. Now if your boot is missing the forks....you normally would have been screwed. The plastic ones are unobtanium. And they break often. But you are in luck as IAP now sells them made out of aluminum. They rivet onto the plastic shell as well

It does not look like this Quad was delivered with a hard top. The original bill of sale was in the glove box. But it is strange that there are hooks where the chrome acorns should be.

Follow-up questions:
I did not know was there is supposed to be a bungee cord between the two plastic pieces. If anyone has pics of the underside of a boot?

The hooks you describe are attached to the chrome strip in the forward screw holes. Are you saying the chrome acorns install in the same holes or in the aft set? I ask this because while I suspected the forward clips somehow snapped onto the boot top frame. If I do that, there is nothing where the aft clip ends up for it to attach????

Thank you John once again- sterling service as usual!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chrome Acorns

Great thread - thanks guys!

John - please provide the parts number for the chrome acorns as I would like to fit them to my '87 Quad - the OKParts.net site is in German.

Thanks! Phil

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Phil:

OKP 60520252 Holder for Hardtop Spider 86-93. Alfa, 105 Spider 90-93 15,50 €

Email Christian in english at [email protected]

And to browse that site in limited English....just click the British flag in the upper right corner. Honestly though...I just email Christian and tell him what I am looking for. Great guy and very helpful. He sometimes sells parts on ebay via ebay name veloce101....I think.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
I get my camera out today and take some pictures of all the hardware I am referring to. The chrome balls replace the hardtop hooks on the hardtop plates. They mount in the same location...the screws closest to the rear window.

Just also took a look on IAP's site. They are showing a bunch of the hardware for the full top boot that once did not exist.

Left and right inner plastic backing plates with the rear female hooks and front side clips....$82.95 each...36029 & 36028

Replacement top boot guide clip in aluminum...left and right....35913 & 35914....$31.75 each.

Here is a little diagram.

Best Regards,
John M

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
John, that is a great diagram. But, you don't show the towel over the rear window:eek:

Seriously, thanks for the post on the new stuff. I think I'm going to order the aluminum forks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thank you again John. I assume the bungee cord spans between the Drivers and Passenger side backing plates so the combination of the neck of the acorn, the clip on the top frame, the snaps inside the B pillar and the bungee secure the boot to the car. I am going to print your images and instructions and add them to my binder where I keep all the stuff I can’t find in the shop manual I have.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Lenn....let me know what you think of those forks from IAP.

Hey Bob...you are correct. The bungee runs from side to side. Some people have added another snap to the car and the top boot where it meets the rear carpeted deck's plastic bar that runs behind the seats. Keeps the leading edge of the boot where the forks are from lifting up in the wind.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
665 Posts
On the forks, I will let you know. But, IAP does not currently have them in stock. I'm on the list.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Chrome Acorns & Matching Screws

John - thanks, you're right, Christian is very helpful - the one thing he does not have is screws to hold the chrome acorns in place and screws to hold down the end of the deck plate at the other end - do you know where I can get these? The ones on my Quad are not original and are kind of beat-up.
Thanks! Phil

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Phil:

No ideal on any Alfa vendors for new ones. You might be able to match them up easily at a hardware store. And you can come by used ones on ebay or from Alfa Parts Exchange www.apedirect.com out in CA. I am sure they'll have a bunch. Those screws are the same across series 3 and 4 spiders for sure. The plates changed a little so if you need those...series 3 or series 4.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
30 Posts
John,
You’ve done it again! Called APE Direct and not only ordered the chrome acorns WITH SCREWS (Phil) but finally scored some rear trim parts for which I have been looking. Thank you again! The best part is it is not costing me a fortune.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
APE is pretty good about having little bits at a good price. Very helpful guys and they always follow through. He has saved me numerous times.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ape

John M - thanks! I called Larry yesterday and he has the chrome deck strips, chrome acorns and all matching screws. They should show up in a few days.
Thanks! Phil

·
Registered
30 Posts
I finally got around to trying on the boot yesterday; your information was very helpful. With the acorn everything lined-up. I found the snaps on the B post have been replaced with just a Phillips screw covered by a trim cap. There are two strips of cloth at the bottom of the boot that I assume had hooks or Velcro on them at one time. Regardless, just clipped-on and zipped, sans the bungee (I have to find a smaller gauge one that will span the distance) the boot looks great and rides well. Thanks again John! This is a good thread with lots of details thanks to you.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Welcome and congrats! On replacing those screw in type snaps (male portion w/ screw down the center), check at your local upholstery shops that do marine stuff like bimini tops and travel covers. They'll have them. I just picked some up this week for the boat!

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 20 of 33 Posts