Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having finished up the swaybar bushings, I've moved on in my suspension rebuild project. I want to replace the wheel studs on my 71 which has the last of the L/R thread patterns and which are too short for the Daytona wheels.

In order to replace the studs, I have to take the hubs apart.
Some of the info I needed is in the thread below:

(http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sus...arent-my-front-discs-hubs-coming-off-gtv.html)

but I didn't want to hijack that thread with my question.

A. How do I remove the wheel-hub cap? Is it just a press fit? Do I just grab it with channel-locks? Wack it with a flat blade driver and a BF hammer?

B. Where can I get a replacement for it? One of mine is dented and I haven't even touched it yet :). I don't find these in any of the 3 catalogs. I hate to do all this work and put a dented part back on if I don't have to.

If this is as tough as getting the two screws in the hubs loose, there's going to be some damage I suspect. Those cute little babies took two days and actually bent the driver blade on a 200 lb torque impact driver:eek:

Below is a pic to make it clear what I'm trying to describe.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
You can get on it with channel locks down near that ridge at the seat (flat ways, like you're turning a wrench, not outways like a dent puller) and pull~n~twist at the same time, or, get a broad flat bladed screwdriver in the gap between the ridge and the hub (the hub has a small taper cut into the end that makes getting it started easier) and walk it off by going round and round sneaking it a bit at a time, or, screwdriver and channel locks working in tandem, or, try to dink it off by using a blunt punch and tapping at the back side of the ridge going round~n~round til it finally frees up.

All that's holding it there is some friction between it and the hub and a it of suction due to the grease inside.

The dents you've got showing are pretty harmless and could be tapped out using a block of wood and a ball peen hammer or suitably shaped object getting hit by a ball peen hammer, like if you had a good sized 'steelie' laying around you could drop it in the cap and tap it with the hammer til the dents were removed. (I seem to recall it's even plausible to put a golf ball in there and work that with a hammer, but I'm not real sure if it was the size on the Alfa or another make all together, just that it does work if the dents aren't creased in. Which your aren't)

What you've gotta be careful of is letting the thing get out of round onnaconna you can indeed get it reinstalled, but it will seal funny and may actually pop off on its own accord if it's not at least fairly true.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've been wondering if these are a standard size, because I've seen generic caps in the "Help" section of the local chain auto parts store.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
you can hijack my thread anyday.
I used a flathead screwdriver and rubber mallet. tap, spin, tap spin, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! The caps came off, and the hubs are now at the shop to have the new bushings and longer wheel studs installed.

I did a pretty fair job tapping out the dents, but I am going to wander some Autoparts stores to see if there's anything else that fits.

If so, I'll report back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts