Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at 2.0ltr Spider Starters, 1985 seems to be the Cut-Off year? What is the difference between a Pre 85' and post 86' Starter? They both seem to have 9 Teethand 3 mounting holes? Thanks, Bob Lesher in Oregon

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
The post 85 starters have permanent magnet motors and planetary reduction gears. They spin the motor faster and weigh 7 lb compared to about 14 lb for the earlier ones.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that info. Can the Later Starter be used in an Earlier Car? Bob

·
Super Moderator
10,603 Posts
Thank you for that info. Can the Later Starter be used in an Earlier Car?
Yes, later starters can be used on earlier cars. But just because a starter has 3-bolt mounting and a 9-tooth pinion doesn't mean it will mesh OK with your ring gear. It's best to use starters intended for 131 tooth ring gears if you have a 131 tooth RG, and starters intended for a 130 tooth RG if you have one of those. Alfa switched back and forth between 130 and 131 over the years. Here's a chart I found on the BB some years ago:

72/74 2ltr 130 tooth RG 9 tooth starter .7hp w/3 bolt mounting
001-211-987 four brushes/2 bolt solenoid
001-211-025 two brushes/2bolt solenoid.

‘75/85 2ltr 131 tooth RG 9 tooth starter 1.1hp Must use a rear brace to the motor mount. Works with 131 tooth ring gear ONLY
001-311-110 1.1hp, 3bolt solenoid.

’85-89 2ltr 131 tooth RG 9 tooth starter (gear reduction)
011-108-024

’90-94 2ltr 130 tooth RG 9 tooth starter (gear reduction)
011-108-081

·
Registered
1987 Quadrifoglio
12 Posts
I appreciate the detailed response. I am in the process of replacing my starter as well. Is there any thought of using a different brand starter other than Bosch? I have heard about the WOSP starter that is lighter and has greater crank power. Looking to rebuilt existing starter or purchase a new starter or re-manufactured one. Any advice or suggestions? Thanks. As well, do you know of any suppliers in Ontario, Canada?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
This thread got me thinking. Rockauto has reman gear reduction starters for considerably less than any of the suppliers for new ($114 without a core). However, they seem to list the same part numbers for 130 and 131 tooth era cars. Anybody have luck with those and figure out which starter is for which?

Even though my spider body is an '86, the motor that came with (and therefore the starter) is from a SPICA era car and has the old heavy starter. New motor (bottom end) is from an early L-jet. I'm thinking about an upgrade while the motor is out, but $250 is a lot of coin for 10lb weight savings and slightly easier starts. The new motor will be used using a 130 tooth ring gear from Alfaholics.

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
The big starters ended on the 1985 model year.

A 1986 to 1989 starter from a spider will work fine. Its the small gear reduction one and it uses the 131 ring gear.

Find a used one and a good starter / alternator can rebuild it as long as its an original Bosch.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The big starters ended on the 1985 model year.

A 1986 to 1989 starter from a spider will work fine. Its the small gear reduction one and it uses the 131 ring gear.

Find a used one and a good starter / alternator can rebuild it as long as its an original Bosch.
What about a Motronic spider starter? I was curious because Rock Auto lists the Motronic and late s3 starters as the same part.

·
Richard Jemison
7,381 Posts
The RockAuto starter is incorrectly described. It is a 131 tooth ring gear starter. Will not work on a 130 tooth Ring gear in a Motronic engine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Huh!! Who'da ever thought that replacing a starter could become so complex!!! Great to have all this shared knowledge on the BB to keep us from getting into trouble!!! Thanks to all info sources!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The RockAuto starter is incorrectly described. It is a 131 tooth ring gear starter. Will not work on a 130 tooth Ring gear in a Motronic engine.
That's too bad. I realized I must buy a new starter to use my Alfaholics flywheel as the old flywheel was 131. Anybody have thoughts on the aftermarket units (sold by Classic Alfa and Spruell) that claim to work on either?

·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
That's too bad. I realized I must buy a new starter to use my Alfaholics flywheel as the old flywheel was 131. Anybody have thoughts on the aftermarket units (sold by Classic Alfa and Spruell) that claim to work on either?
What is the tooth count on your new flywheel?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
What is the tooth count on your new flywheel?
130, which means I'd ideally want a motronic starter. But if the universal starters work well, that's fine too. It's a fairly expensive flywheel, so I'd hate to see it chewed up by the wrong starter.

Also, anybody had luck with auto parts store starters? The various big box all have starters that claim to work with a 90+ spider for ~$100 and come with a warranty. But if I plug in other years, it seems to come up with the same part number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts