Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to them those two bloody spiders of mine.

'86 Veloce trip/odometer is practically dead. In the last 3-4 thousand miles I put on, I have hardly recorded 150. The speedometer, however is fine and accurate, it only twitches and shakes under 20MPH. Once passed that speed it's steady and accurate.
The tech on this car seems to be temperature affected and is lately, more often than not, not working. Sometimes it comes on but displays volatility. Sometimes it gives too low a reading, and sometimes it is asleep.

Left that car with Julio, yesterday, and took back '87 Quadrifolglio. All the major issues are gone. Late last summer a friend offered to help me replace the speedometer cable. Am not sure we ever did it quite right. The odometer works and appears to be accurate, the speedometer is becoming moody. The reading ranges anywhere from zero to way lower speed than what it in reality is.

These are two different cars, experiencing different issues. What conclusions can be drawn from this? I assume I'll have to open both cars' instrumentation clusters and see if something obvious is involved. How hard would that be?
Any recommendation?

Thank you all,
(Read my signature)

Simon

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The instrument cluster in the 86 on is a "Monopod"
It is basically an electronic circuit board.
The speedo does not connect by a cable, rather there is a "transducer" which converts mechanical rotation from the cable to the trans (up by the brake booster) and sends an electric signal to the speedo gage.
From what you describe, I think you may have to remove the "monopod" and send to Palo Alto Speedo in CA Palo Alto Speedometer: Repair, Restoration, and Sales of Automobile Gauges
They know the instrument cluster for our cars, and a number of AlfaBB folks have sent in their cluster. It can run a couple of hundred.....get an estimate...
Or there are threads on the BB that give suggestions for fix....
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Hi Simon, did you get the odometer fixed? One of mine is on the blink now - same as yours, it is intermittent and the speedo is working fine.
Any suggestions for fixing it will be gratefully received!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
erratic odometer

There is a small plastic gear inside the unit which turns to dust. For many cars you can purchase just the small gear. I did that for my wife's Volvo 850 a few years ago. Very common failure, see Odometer Gears - WELCOME. I couldn't find one for the Spider so I bit the bullet and sent it to Palo Alto Speedometer. I don't know if they would sell just the gear.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to avoid Palo Alto purely because of the logistics of being UK based - things take an age to get to or from the States for some reason.
If I can't find another solution though I will try them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Anglospider,
Try these guys -http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/inst_repairs.html.
Got my ( electronic ) tach working just fine a couple of years ago and it has been good since .
As I remember it took them a few weeks to get the work done , but I was not in a hurry at the time.

David

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks David, will give them a call. I'm in no hurry either.
Cheers,
Nick.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Sadly, Speedograph can't help...

"I regret we will not be able to repair this unit due to the make of the movements that where used in the Alfa Romeo cars at that time.
Sorry we cannot help you in this instance."

Anybody any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks David. Someone else mentioned these guys to me as well. I called them yesterday and they said yes, they could do it.
I also came across this company:
http://http://clusterrepairsuk.co.uk/

They too have said they can do it and are local to me.

I will try one or other and leave feedback but it won't be for a month or so as I don't have access to the car at the moment.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Another option is new gauges from Speedhut. I put in a GPS speedo and a new tach and am happy with them so far. The fit is good and they have a lifetime guarantee. It requires minor modification and the old gauges can always be put back in if so desired.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thats not a bad idea but the actual speedo works at the moment, its just the odometer that is bust so I can live with it for a while.

How is the GPS speedo - does it take a while to lock on to satellites when you start off or is it immediate? Also, what happens in tunnels?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The GPS "holds" the satellite positions for up to 4 hours after you shut the engine off. Longer than that and they have moved too much so it starts from zero, coming back on in less than a minute. I have no tunnels nearby, but I imagine it wouldn't get the signal inside one over a hundred yards long or so. Speedhut's unit also gives 0 to 60 and 1/4 mile times...Bob

·
Registered
442 Posts
I put in the 3 3/8" size. It's really not that difficult to do. The hardest part is removing the pod. Check out my posts dated 2-26-11, currently residing on page 75. It shows a picture of the gauges and a description of how I put them in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts