Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group;
I am needing to rebuild the tire storage framework on my 58 spider, as it is badly eroded by the rust worm. Can some kind member give me the measurement of the short verticle legs that extend down to the floor pan where they are welded. These are made up of a petite rectangular tubing, approximately 1 3/16" wide by 3/8" thick. My remaining stubs are about 2" long, but I am sure quite a bit is missing. Would really appreciate a dimension off of someones baby. Thanks

Vern Liesinger
[email protected]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks about 4 3/4" from the floor to the top of the horizontal bar on my '58. Might be a good idea to use the spare tire clamp as a check, assuming it's not bent out of shape.
You may want to think about what size tire you'll want to put there. I think the stock rack wouldn't take anything bigger than 155/15. The cross strap on mine was cut to fit a bigger tire.

Doug

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire storage

Doug;

Thanks for the info, I plan on using stock tire sizing. I will use your dimension of 4 3/4" and check how that alligns with the bolt down point.

Vern in Oregon

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might also try placing a 155 HR 15 tire there and position the bar precisely on top of it. That it what it is supposed to do! I just confirmed on mine that it wont even accommodate a 165.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts