Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I used to have instructions (perhaps from owner's manual) showing or explaining the correct steps in lowering and raising a Giulietta Spider soft top. I searched here but couldn't find anything. Anyone have that or a link to where it's at?

Thank you,

Tom

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES YES YES,

Thank you StanRes! :)

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Early and late tops

Some people might not know there is a difference between early and late spider tops. Early tops are fixed at the rear to the body, later tops have a rear rail that attaches under hooks on the trunk hinges. The pictures in the manual with the woman folding the top are for the earlier version.

The first few times it's done, I think the most frequent question when folding the later version is what to do with the rear rail--the part that hooks under the trunk hinges, and the window that's attached to it. As the instructions with the line drawings and male operator show, after the frame and fabric are stowed the rear rail is brought all the way forward, with the rail up (like an inverted U), and placed vertically forward of the folded frame and the fabric. This is steps 9 and 10 in the instructions. The rear window should not be folded. The whole business can then be pushed back and ultimately covered with the drape.

Something may be put adjacent to the rear window to protect it. My top from World Upholstery came with a very nice foam-filled and felt-covered pad attached at the proper place to perform that function.

Jeffrey

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Spider tops

Hi Jeffrey

Slight correction to your post above, there are basically 4 different types of Spider soft top.

The '55 to '59 750 Spiders had a conventional soft top with two hooks on the rear deck that were separate to the boot lid hinges. These are SWB cars

The '60 cars had the rear portion of the hood bolted down to the rear deck - known as the fixed hood cars.

The '61 onwards cars went back to the removable rear portion of the hood, but the two hooks were now integral with the boot lid hinges. These are LWB cars.

The later Giulia's used the same system except the top gained spring loaded gadgets to keep the flaps above the windows in place.

These are our '57 and one of the '60's with the fixed hood - sorry picture is not that great

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
There might even be five types. My Spider Veloce is manufactured October 1960, is a 101.07 LWB and has the separate hooks and non fixed hood.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
There might even be five types. My Spider Veloce is manufactured October 1960, is a 101.07 LWB and has the separate hooks and non fixed hood.
Same with mine...

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
In the motor industry it is very common to 'launch' the next years model around September / October, so while you both have late '60 models, elements of these will be '61 model.

I can accept a 5th type, detachable, LWB & separate hooks, sometime either very late in '60 of early in '61 the boot hinges and hood hooks became one item.

My 1495*10990 is a 15 July '60 production, smack in the middle of the Interim car phase, a LWB with fixed hood, small tail lights, no cigar lighter, a 750 chassis designation but a 101 car. Our Feb '60, 1495*08930 is more 750 than 101, with aluminium trim pieces as opposed to the stainless ones of 10990, both have 750 seats, 10990 is trimmed as a 101, while 08930 is trimmed as a 750........

The important thing to recognise is that these cars were constantly evolving and we are trying to piece together the story 50 years later..........

George & SpiderFenice, both your cars are good reference pieces, as is Gordon's. This is how we all learn

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
127 Posts
Does anyone have a pattern for the drape on a 64 Spider?
Thanks
lolaalfa - I have a drape that came with my 750 spider (purchased aftermarket by PO decades ago and never installed). Probably not the same as your '64, but might be better than nothing. Let me know if you're interested in me tracing a pattern.

·
Registered
167 Posts
All,

I am about to install the top on my 60 spider which is a top with the rear portion mounted to the deck. I am not certain about the details of how the
soft top exactly folds and stows below and above the deck. I was wondering if someone has some pictures that would explain it.

Thank you

Christof

60 spider
71 gtv

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
My Giulietta manual has a guy in a mechanics smock--the illustrations are clearer.

:p:p

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Christof

I am preparing to do the same with a '60 Spider AR 1495 09844 TIPO 101.04
There is a tonneau cover that snaps on to the the back edge.
See original top on my car and the model shot, in a similar car.

What is your cars vin number?

Frank

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Fixed hood

Bob - the pretty girl in GTD's version trumps 'Giancarlo' in your version ;)

Christof, welcome to the world of Interim Spiders, this is our 15 July '60 - 1495 10990 - with the fixed hood, with the rear portion of the top fixed to the rear deck, raising & lowering the top is so simple.

Up = seat backs forward, reach in alongside the body, grasp the bottom of the frame arm and pull, top swings up & then fasten the two clips either side, pull the frame a bit harder & it locks into place, then extend front piece forward by pulling forward with one hand and pushing upwards with the other, latch onto windscreen.............job done

Down = seat backs forward, unclip the top from the screen, move the front portion backwards to above the seats, loosen the latches on the frame and allow to drop very slightly, now loosen the two clips on the body, then allow the whole thing to settle into place behind the seats, fold in the two 'wings' on either side of the hood (with the body clips), push back on the top bar until it is snugly behind the seats..............job done.

I usually have it up or down in time to go help my Dad with his '57 hood...both of us want the top version used by Edward Fox in the day of the Jackal :rolleyes:

The main problem with the fixed hood is that the rear window drapes over the rear deck & the buffetting from the wind damages the clear plastic, :( Alfa originally supplied a soft pad to prevent this. I use a red towel folded carefully under the screen & also use a black towel to 'pad' the top bar of the hood to prevent damaging the seats - visible in the pictures, but hardly noticible even when the vehicle is parked.

The fixed hood is much easier than the early or later cars, BUT, it does spoil the pure lines of the car a bit. I don't have the original top or the original cover & drape combination which came with the fixed top cars. Andrew Watry has a very original '60 Spider Veloce with the original cover & drape combination.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,074 Posts
Fixed hood & cover

This is Andrew Watry's very original 101 Spider Veloce with original fixed hood and original drape & cover combination - pictures supplied by Andrew

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mach5,
Thanks, I would expect the rear cowl has the same shape as the 101. If it's not too much trouble, could you trace it ( 1/2 would do as it is symetrical).
Thanks,
Cap

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Does anyone have a pattern for the drape on a 64 Spider?
Thanks
Don't have a pattern, but rear drapes are available from World Upholstery.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts