Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went down to the garage where I park the Spider and found it slashed. I'd thought it was safe in the garage (I live in a nice condo building with a Hilton also in it, sharing the garage) but obviously not. The security gate has been broken for too long (thanks supply chain and/or incompetent maintenance!).

What's odd is that it seems like my car was targeted--no other car had broken glass or damage. The way they slashed the top looks personal and angry, like they took out some real hatred on it. It was a lot more damage than it would've taken to get in. On top of that, the doors remained locked, they never got in, the idiot.

I'd put the Spider up for sale, reluctantly (I need a highway missile nowadays) and now this will obviously effect that. Does anyone have advice on the best way to deal with top replacement? From what source is best, what type of top is best?

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Wood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
126 Posts
That sucks. To me, the quality of the replacement top would depend on the overall condition of the car. If it's a 5-6k car, I wouldn't put a top of the line top on it. Plus, unless you're going to install it yourself, theres another 6-7 hundred on top of the new top cost. Someone buying a $6k car probably isn't expecting a $500 top. If it's in great condition, a nicer top may pay for itself or at least make it easier to sell. I bought a vinyl top for $235 on line. I forget where but I think autoberry. If I'm driving the car, the top is down anyways. If I can't put the top down, I don't drive it.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
****... I once had the experience (with chevy van) that they tried to steal it which did not work. Than they cut the complete wire loom everywhere they could reach it... Check locks on damage too I say.

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,834 Posts
The first question is whether you plan on doing the top install yourself. The second, as Haba1492 suggested, is whether this is a $6K car or a $16K car.

If you hope to get top dollar, and are willing to have an upholsterer do the work, then chose the upholsterer first, and ask them how/where to source the top. Most likely, they will want to buy it, and won't be happy with anything you buy on your own.

If this is a $6K car, then as Haba1492 suggested, sell it without a top (and now it's a $5K car).

Here in California, a competent upholsterer will charge ~$1,000 to buy and install a top, so you might want to get some quotes before deciding what to do. Depending on your deductible, it may not be worth filing an insurance claim.

·
Registered
10,799 Posts
what morons in this world of ours:(
over on the for sale listings, you list it at 11,500

I spot a nice wood console and door cappings, but it is not a CE edition I believe?

imo you need to get the top done.......that puts off any buyer, no matter if a 6k or a 26k car.

·
Registered
1980 Eurospec S2 Spider
56 Posts
I agree, looks like damage done in anger, maybe because they could not get into the condo building or Hilton (their real target). If you buy another convertible, don't ever lock it: nothing you could ever have inside would be worth this grief or expense.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Sorry that this happened to you and your Spider. This is a great example though as to why you never lock the doors on a convertible Or leave anything of value in one. If you want to get $11,5 for it you will need to put a decent top on it. Vinyl isn’t going to do. Again, I am sorry that this happened to you and your spider.

- Drew

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all--thanks for the good words and advice. The top wasn't in the best condition but was a cloth one, which I liked so I'm going to try to get it replaced with the same. Good point regarding finding an upholsterer first, instead of buying a top online (I can't do it myself). I hadn't thought of that.

The car definitely isn't a CE (it's a 92) but the PO must have gotten a CE trim kit--it's a nice touch. The Spider is a CA car all its life except when I had it for 3 years in Atlanta (and now a few months in VA). So there's no really bad rust or anything like that.

I did file a claim and have a $500 deductible, so I'll get some help with the top replacement cost.

It is for sale for $11.5k but this of course changes that. I've been on the fence about selling it--if I do the r134 a/c conversion and a few other mechanical things (and now the top) I'll probably end up keeping it and doing an over-time restoration (especially the paint!).

Out in CA I drove it a number of times back and forth from Sausalito to Santa Barbara and L.A. with no problems (except no a/c in traffic) and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, or drive it from Richmond, VA to the beach or mountains, etc. It's a very tough, solid car mechanically and drives stronger than a totally stock S4 (the Squadra chip really added a LOT to the power curve, especially with the 95 octane I can get here, even though I know some who put the chip in say they don't notice anything). The main issue for me is driving regularly down to FL on I95 for 11 hours each way (my aging mom is there, one of those things). I think the Spider can do it, no problem, but it will be uncomfortable and probably dangerous with all the trucks, SUVs, etc. on that super busy highway. I never worried about that on the 101. That's why I was going to sell it and get some sort of highway cruise missile.

However, if I start spending money on it again I'll be more inclined to keep it. Instead of selling the Spider and buying a nice, solid (non-ragged out) 90's C4 Corvette for $13k or so maybe I'll keep the Spider and by an ok (semi-ragged out) C4 Vette for $5k or so and just use it for the trips. It'd be nice to age with the same Alfa Romeo glinting in the garage light, ready for the road when I need to blow out the cobwebs. There's really nothing like a little Italian with a hot four under the hood...

Sorry for the long post here--working things out in my head as a write. Thanks again for the advice!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just put the top down and DRIVE it..........

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,834 Posts
if I start spending money on it again I'll be more inclined to keep it.
Well, then maybe that &^%$#$# slasher did you a favor! 😃

Still, if you put a new top on it, either don't keep parking in the same garage or always park it with the top down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah it's funny because I usually pre-cog a thief, in terms of leaving my car in a certain way. I used to put a note in the window of my old Jag "nothing to steal here" along with leaving the glove box and arm compartment open, so it was obvious. That and the large, very realistic rubber snake on the back seat, which at night you couldn't quite be sure wasn't real, ensured the Jag was never broken into.

I thought the Alfa was ok in the garage, there are cameras (found out later no one checks them or will really look through all the hours for me) and a couple of security gates. However, both gates haven't been working lately--I should've thought of leaving the top obviously unlatched and will do so after it's replaced.

Funny thing, though--I don't think it was theft-motivated. No other car in the entire garage was touched, the top was slashed in a very angry way, way more than necessary to get in. And the little bit of change I did have in the car wasn't taken, nor anything else. I feel like someone took their anger out on the Spider. My building, nice as it is, is in the middle of a lot of crap. Downtown Richmond has a lot of homeless and otherwise (I watched a guy smoke crack across the parking lot, in the afternoon, from my terrace, and this is adjacent to the Hilton--not a rare occurrence).

I drove the car the day before it happened (was a wonderful Alfa drive, just superlative) and I think someone saw me pull in and decided later that night to 'get even' or something. Back in the day, in New Orleans, someone poured beer all over the trunk of my Jaguar while I was at a party. My girlfriend at the time, when she saw it, shook her head sadly and said, "there's something about a Jag that just pisses some people off." I think she nailed it. And now I would add "Alfa" to that statement, which is too bad because Alfas, overwhelmingly, make most people smile when they see one. I'm already looking forward to that new top, working a/c, and some other good tweaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yesterday I went down to the garage where I park the Spider and found it slashed. I'd thought it was safe in the garage (I live in a nice condo building with a Hilton also in it, sharing the garage) but obviously not. The security gate has been broken for too long (thanks supply chain and/or incompetent maintenance!).

What's odd is that it seems like my car was targeted--no other car had broken glass or damage. The way they slashed the top looks personal and angry, like they took out some real hatred on it. It was a lot more damage than it would've taken to get in. On top of that, the doors remained locked, they never got in, the idiot.

I'd put the Spider up for sale, reluctantly (I need a highway missile nowadays) and now this will obviously effect that. Does anyone have advice on the best way to deal with top replacement? From what source is best, what type of top is best?

View attachment 1736124
View attachment 1736125
Sorry to see this type of vandalism. Definitely looks kinda personal. Reminds me of the scene from the movie “Lady in Red” when Gilda Radner keys the door of Gene Wilder inside the public garage, for being stood up on a date.
Hope you don’t have any Gildas inside your building..😂

·
Registered
17 Posts

View attachment 1736124
View attachment 1736125
your insurance will pay for that

1 - 20 of 25 Posts