Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1988 quad with 40k miles. It has sat in a garage in Arizona, left alone since 2001. Pictures attached. Relayed to me it had fuel issues. I am replacing all rubber lines, hoses and rubber in the suspension. Gas tank was severely corroded so I have one on the way. Changing the water pump, belts and have the radiator out. I am looking for suggestions on what else to look for. Have also shot some lube into the cylinders. Hoping the injectors will be good. Pictures attached. Expert advice for someone more knowledgeable than me is much appreciated. I also have a shop manual although they don’t mention pulling the studs or removing the crank to change the water pump. Did I mention no rust? The coolant was good and the oil looked new.
243AB274-0323-4E3A-809E-0EBAD59AB45F.jpeg
945B8D7F-B9BE-4E49-94AC-9352477B944A.jpeg

·
Push hard and live
9,366 Posts
Most likely, you’ll need...

New fuel pump
All filters
New or rebuilt fuel injectors. Old dead gas gums them up.
Significant rejuvenation of AC

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Test your T stat before running, if you dont replace it.

I second Don^

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
No rust is a big plus. Sitting unused for all those years is a big minus...

Unless the gas was treated for storage (and even it was) the fuel injectors are likely gummed up. There isn't anything I know about that you can put in the gas tank to clean them out. Places like Cruzin Performance will clean them with solvents in an ultrasonic bath and cycle solvents through them. They'll show you the before & after testing - usually the after flow is as good as new.

Click on my signature for a page of info about the L-jetronic system in our cars. I suggest you go through the whole thing and test all the components. L-jet is a system - all the parts have to work for it to work at all.

·
Registered
86 Veloce
764 Posts
Rich at Cruzin Performance is a great guy. He has worked 2 sets for me and always beings them up to new or better performance. Best 100 bucks you can spend...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts