Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a full set of second hand patch panels, made in Canada so I'm guessing Wolf brand.
I see where some of the criticism comes from, one middle sill is dimpled but the other is not.
I will make up a set of dies and do them over.
Most of the parts are evident where they go but couple need to be identified.

The BIGGER question, I have rust at the usual wheel well corners but none apparent at the rocker sills below the doors.
Should I still strip off the sills and replace them along with the middle rockers anyway?
Most of my apparent rust is only the lower three inches or so.
Passenger side behind the front wheel is the worst spot with the end of the middle rocker looking thin.
If the lower patch panels are not too hard then my nose repair will be the biggest challenge.

Not making this one a show car, I intend to drive it hard.
Now keeping the body spares I have in case I need them after an "OOPS!".

I know there should be detailed threads here on rocker repair, but no luck finding them.
Tried several threads but never found detailed Spider rocker repair.

·
Registered
908 Posts
and the car is?

·
Super Moderator
11,967 Posts
If you even have a vague impression that "some Alfa's rust there" you will find yours has rusted THERE. Alfa's rust before they are completed! Rust is part of these cars. There may even be a part number for "rust" in some part manuals.
Fortunately, correctly repairable with todays tooling.
My opinion from years of observation.

Reactions: Tom Frasca and JCDK

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1978 Spider rust fix?

and the car is?
Ex Oregon 1978 Spider that looked pretty good until I removed all the bondo and exposed the rust and poor repairs underneath it. :frown2:

Hoping the mechanical work was done better.

Would almost be simpler to get a better shell if they were not so hard to find.
I've even flirted with the notion of making a space-frame chassis then skinning it with the stock body-shell.
But that becomes a crazy amount of work, although it would yield a very stiff and light chassis with improved suspension geometry.
I've seen several cars in similar condition parted out, but since this one is already on Dellorto's with hot cams and headers it appeals to my inner hooligan and will be fixed.
SNO here we go!

I think the current plan is to get out the air-saw and begin cutting away the rusted panels until I reach solid metal.
Hopefully that will be before I run out of patch panel even if the rust is 3X what is obvious.

Still debating the rocker sills as they look fine.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went on-line looking to find a product that I may use to "Convert" any rust inside my sills/rockers.

Found several at a wide range of prices.
Most are apparently pretty thick so not easy to distribute without stripping the car and putting the shell on my rotisserie.
Not intending a frame-up resto on this one, I have several other builds to do like that.

So any suggestion for a product that is thin enough that I might be able to spray it through a rod, effective enough that I can get it done in one application, cheap enough to use generously for good coverage, and thin enough that it will drain out readily?

National park service seems to like a Rustoleum tannic acid based product.

Recommendations?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts