Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering repainting my '78 spider which has stainless steel /rubber side molding. Stainless steel in good condition, some of the rubber should be replaced. Trying to decide if I should remove the side moldings or keep them.

Any opinions? Does anyone make these anymore?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Those moldings were dealer applied anyway.

·
Registered
572 Posts
...speaking of them, are some actually 'riveted' into the car??
They actually pop holes in the bodywork to mount em? :eek: Or is it adhesive only?

·
Registered
585 Posts
They were dealer installed, and usually (operative word) using two sided tape. If you live in a large metro area, where people don't give a **** if they hit your car..the poor look is a trade-off. I have them on my 86, because I lived in New York City until 1994. They saved me from many dings. When I finally can afford to repaint and restore the baby, I will possibly remove them....just a thought...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I just park away from other cars and never behind one. The side moldings are a...hit and miss...affair at best. Car doors come in so many profiles that the door edge often hits your car rather than the side molding.

·
Super Moderator
11,550 Posts
Let me cast vote #37 in favor of deleting the side molding strips. Reasons:

- They look terrible and were not part of Pininfarina's design

- They're just a dealer add-on, no doubt at a sizable mark-up

- As John Gallagher points out, the pickup truck parked next to you is going to impact your door above the molding strip anyways. Or else bend the whole molding and your sheet metal when Bubba clumbs into his peekup.

- Every time I see an Alfa spider with those strips I am reminded of the horrible aesthetics of the 1970's: Chrysler K cars, earth tones, sideburns.....

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yeah, remove them. Lazy people bang doors, so just park as far away from public accessible doors, as lazy people don't like to walk!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The summer of 76(in college) I installed those dumb strips on mostly cheaper imports and used cars(no Alfas). I made really good dough. They are really crap. I vote to remove.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
mine were rivited in but no more! Also had them on the GTV which I removed.. they just look better without them imho

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Get rid of 'em. Out, I say, away, be gone!

( Wow, a 2 door k-car convertable with permanent mid-wing windows, fake woody sides, luggage rack, wire wheels, a gawd awful 2 piece Continental spare tire kit in beige, with 'rich Corinthian leather' and twice pipes- now thats trashy!:eek: )

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
but it has "Corinthian leather" Ricardo wasn't wrong:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts