Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have a partially blocked injector on my 1989 Spider S3. Does anyone have stories or reports about having injectors reconditioned? I've read comments about them not really being able to be properly reconditioned due to being sealed. Comments welcome.

I know that new injectors will be expensive if I mention the word 'Alfa'. Surely the same injector must be used on other cars. Does anyone know? I'm quite capable of fitting them and even adapting the pipe if necessary. Please bear in mind that I am in the UK, and many S3 cars over here, if of European import, are fitted with carburettors. Consequently, injectors are not particularly common. It would seem that it is the cars imported from the USA that have the injected engines.

If anyone thinks they may know but wants to see a picture, please let me know.

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,363 Posts
late 70' to late 80 nissan had very similar injectors.. i have a set of 280z turbo injectors in my 84 spider..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses so far. With the Bosch part number above, I have found (in case anyone is interested), that it has a flow rate of 191cc at 3 Bar pressure and has 2.4 Ohm resistance. More can be found on the injector specifications at the following -

Club G40 - The Polo G40 Owners Club UK

(The table has a note to say it can't be reproduced without permission, but it doesnt say I can't pass on the web location.......!)

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
If you want to try cleaning the injectors, consider an outfit like Cruzin Performance (there are other companies offering similar service). True - the injectors cannot be rebuilt as the internal bits are inaccessable. Cruizin Performance replaces the inlet screen & external seals, cleans them with an ultrasonic solvent treatment and does a before & after flow test.

If an injector is truely dead then Greg likely has your best deal for new ones.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Darren's picture of a fine Bosch injector will not fit. it will not mount like the OE's.

The correct Bosch # is 280-150-128

BTW Cruzin also replaces the pintle cap and gives actual measurements of static flow as well as pulsed flow and spray pattern and leak.

Best regards,

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Darren's picture of a fine Bosch injector will not fit. it will not mount like the OE's.
Looks like what I remember the injectors were like in our '84 Spider. The mounting flange is slide on (from the bottom) then a rubber ring and both are secured with a C-clip (called 'seeger ring' in the sketch below). The rubber ring & C-clip fits into the narrower part of the injector body. The flange pushes down on the C-clip/rubber ring to hold the injector in place.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,190 Posts
Except the injectors in our cars cannot be rebuilt. They can be cleaned & the inlet screens & external seals replaced but the internals cannot be accessed for any sort of 'rebuilding'. And outfits like Cruizin Performance does the cleaning/seal replacement for $16/injector.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
OK, but if you end up with one that is toast and can't be made better you can get a non-rebuilt one for 42 dollars instead of 200-300 dollars.

$16 is still better

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
To show what the lost/missing/NLA pic in my post above was and to give direct comparision to the p# Elio mentions.
(I'm guessing 2cc difference in flow isn't going to be a travesty making either suitable for use)

Both injectors are physically the same size, difference shown is a result of how they were photographed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.