Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Behind the back lights :

The same view after Phosphoric acid action:

Into the 5 th wheel compartment :

Near the battery (rear wing):

View of dammage due to the battery acid :mad:

I will post other pictures to complete... do it so it's very important to know where to look before buying !

·
Weaving a Spider's Web.
1,154 Posts
wow that's nasty :( I have rust only on the side mirrors on the driver's side, a usual occurance because of the painted aluminum.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I will tell you another place...

... where your spider is DEFINITELY rusted.
The fourth series spider uses a different model of welding the two INNER wheel well parts at the rear together, compared to other 105's.
Whereas on older 105's the flanged lip of both inner wells point upward, in order to be able to spot weld both parts together on the assembly line, the 4th series has them pointing down. That would give some problems, the factory must have thought, so they perceived a metal U shaped strip to go OVER the flange. This is kitted in place.
However, the spider tail end having the strength of an overripe banana, and the kit drying out with age, moisture comes in between, and due to the U shaped strip, it cannot run out. Ergo, the flange will start to rust, badly. But you will not see it, because of the U shaped strip. Only when is is thorougly rotted and even the strip is almost gone will you deduct something is wrong.
So, REALLY clean out the rear wheel wells, remove the kit off the flange strip, and even remove the strip. Clean, weld or whatever, then use only a high grade flexible automotive kit to seal the joint.
Remember, with the strip attached, there are FOUR layers of metal over each other.
Take a look and let us know!
Rik

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... are you really sure that there is no rust elsewhere? I paid mine 6500 $. Here Spider in very good condition costs 15000 $, but the state is not perfect. For a maximum 3000 $ I will have a new painting "polish-glossed", a new interior, and more any rust. My spider will cost me 10000 $ but I think that it will be almost perfect (with much work of course). I hope I'll finish everything for next spring.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think I agree with Seinista if I understand his description properly. On my S4, otherwsie very rust free, on the passenger side rear wheel well directly behind the wheel I detected a probably three inch long rust patch, it was underneath the caulking or sealing applied to the joint between the inner and outer wheel house I think. In poking around I noticed the caulking/undercoating was not secure, so I pulled at it and discovered the rust area. I cannot tell if there is more too it or if there is any on the driver's side very easily since it is underneath the caulking/sealing material, and I really do not want to pull all of that off. Based on this post I will definitely investigate further. I will try to post a pic. of my area.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To detect rust area as described by Seinista, I only discovered it because I took off the rear bumper to prepare the repainting of the car, so I think without doing it, this rust area is not really visible.
There is an other place where rust installs : under the (front) seats, near the 3 inch hole closed by a kind of round rubber.

I will post pictures later when I will have removed the carpets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts