Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 91 Spider S4 (USA Version) has developed a problem while driving (engine warm)
The revs die as you lift off the accelerator at speed and the car seems to try to return to Idle the accelerator pedal does nothing at this stage.
The car will then slowly roll to a stop. No servo brakes or power steering so I can assume the engine is actually dead at this point.

if i turn off the car and re-start all is OK and i drive it normally until the fault happens again some time later (twice in 30 min today) .

is this likely a AFM problem or the Lambda sensor fuel pump or something else?

seems odd the fault goes when it's powered off/on again.
any ideas would be welcome.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
not the afm or O2 sensor (imo), check fuel pumps & filters, drive relay, idle control valve (you can take out and clean with carb cleaner) any and all vacuum leaks, check the coil wire connections both circuits, check battery electrical circuit to starter and grounds (loosen, inspect, clean as necessary, then reassemble) some folks unplug the altitude sensor if all else is ok.

·
Administrator
18,578 Posts
The tach is electronic so if it continues reading as the car coasts to a stop it is likely the ignition is functioning. Thus, I'd suggest focusing on lack of fuel. In the 'weird idea department', try loosening the gas cap when it dies. If there is a big whoosh of air perhaps the tank venting is blocked preventing fuel from flowing?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fuel delivery

not the afm or O2 sensor (imo), check fuel pumps & filters, drive relay, idle control valve (you can take out and clean with carb cleaner) any and all vacuum leaks, check the coil wire connections both circuits, check battery electrical circuit to starter and grounds (loosen, inspect, clean as necessary, then reassemble) some folks unplug the altitude sensor if all else is ok.
hi thanks i was also thinking along the lines of fuel delivery ill check the relay to the fuel pump first. and ignition coil etc..
Q where is the Altitude sensor ?
cheers,

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
today i got the code error from the ECU the only code it flashed ( after pressing the button many times ) is 1223 would this error cause my symptoms?

I don't think it would but not sure.

Any ideas if it would?

cheers.

·
Registered
211 Posts
code 1223 is a coolant temp sensor
which controls the richness of the fuel.
cold = rich
hot = lean

It is possible that fuel is being richened too much.
Any black smoke out the tailpipe when it occurs?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my codes info says 1223 is HO2S regulator inner adjuster reaches minimum or maximum adjustment.

1224 is HO2S

i am unsure what& where is the regulator mentioned in 1223 error code?

i have found a large split in the intake hose from the Air Filter to plenum today (after the AFM) so this wont have helped i have duct taped it up as a temporary measure.

cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.