Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similar question to locate the "Grounding points" that I could clean to restore some of the degraded electrical functionality.
Does anyone have a map of the Grounding Locations that could benefit from a good cleaning, and any commentary on specifics?
Photos would be great. I seem to remember in the manuals, some of those listed. Just trying to get all my gauages and instruments to be constant.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't have a diagram, but on my S3, which I assume would not differ much from an S4, the grounding points are anywhere and everywhere. There are many that can only be accessed by removing the interior of the car (carpets, center console, etc.). There are many on the engine as well. Some exterior lights also have their own, dedicated ground (side markers for example). Again, this is just my experience with an S3.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Clarification: By carpet I mean side carpet panels, not floor carpet. And beneath the rear parcel shelf are at least two grounding points.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Chip, I agree with Fledermaus on the rear parcel shelf. Honestly, I've had so few problems from my S4 over the years, I can't really say where other interior grounds are located. But I suggest you start with your battery ground back there in the trunk. Get the sheet metal clean and shiny where the ground lug attaches to the body, apply dielectric grease, make sure the bolt threads and the lug itself are clean and shiny, add a toothed lock washer and tighten securely.
There is a cluster of black ground wires on the intake manifold, toward the firewall, secured with a 10mm bolt-- get those clean and shiny, add dielectric grease and tighten. Then there's the engine to chassis ground strap under the car, at the tranny.
Hopefully somebody will jump in here with specific ground points for the dash and instruments. Probably not more than one or two.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hopefully somebody will jump in here with specific ground points for the dash and instruments. Probably not more than one or two.
On either side of the driver's side foot well are grounding connections. One is in the vicinity of the hood latch, and has about 5 or 6 grouped ground wires (again, this is on an S3) and another behind the carpet to the right of the accelerator pedal. There's another 4 or 5 wire grounding point in the passenger's foot well, on one of the bolts that holds the metal conical-shaped shifter boot onto the tunnel. That one could be some work to get to.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
I was putting a pdf together on S4 spider ground points:
here is what I have so far...any additions or indeed corrections (with photos please) then post them here and I will update the pdf.
for instance need a photo of the ground bundle up behind the fuse box....I had one but can't find it anymore, darn.
also if any ground point specific to USA cars that you know of, let me know and I can add it

the whole point of this is to include a photo, to make searching easy for others, so photos please.
Thanx

......That'll keep you all busy over the weekend :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts