Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My airbag light on my 94 CE has been on forever so I decided to tackle getting it fixed. This old thread was of enormous help but I wanted to add some important information and a tip. Can't post a direct link for some reason but simply search, "Anybody have the old posting on reseting the airbag light in spider?" First off, its almost impossible to deal with reading and clearing codes with a simple jumper wire. Go buy a simple 2 pole on off switch and add the appropriate terminal ends to the wires. This will mimic the factory tester and negate having to connect and disconnect a jumper wire. My code was a 16 for failure of forward left sensor. I cleaned up the connector but simply could not clear the code. The thread above shows the specs for testing the sensor which was of enormous help. My sensor tested fine, so I cleaned the connector again and tried to clear the codes. Absolutely would not reset. The light would flash as soon as I turned the key, meaning the ECU had not been reset. If the light comes on solid and then starts to flash, it means you have cleared the fault code but the problem still exists. I remembered I had the Alfa tech video on reading and resetting the airbag light. After watching the video, I saw my error. The air bag codes will only reset on the second set of 12 codes at the end. If you try it on the first or third 12 it will not work. So my sequence was 12 12 12 16 16 16 12, as soon as the 1 shows for the second 12, start your reset. Cleared on the first attempt and stayed out. This important step is missing from the thread referenced above. Hope this helps somebody out in the future.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I haven't had that issue for a long time, because I disconnected the bag way back when. I bought my S4 new, and after three trips back to the dealer for airbag fault, I pronounced it a serial PITA. The only persistent problem I've ever had with the car was this.
But that's good information, nevertheless. Hats off to you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I reset mine, I ran two long wires to the front, crossed and uncrossed them. You need to be looking at the light ready to pounce at the right time and cycle the key. Glad you got it.

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

1 - 3 of 3 Posts