Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Would anyone have some solid info for mounting a 72 spider on a rotisserie?

Thanks
dromeo

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB!

The one person I would trust with first hand rotisserie info is BB member "ScooterS". (I know him well, and he does all the body and mechanical work.) Have a look at the thread "105 Body Panels". That was built by him, and he also owns a '74 Spider. (He is a very active alfista.) Send him an e-mail, not a PM, and give him a few days to respond.

Best regards,

·
Registered
85 Posts
OK; I'll be the first one... I'd think that the weight of the car might crush your grill, but if you really wanna mount it to your grill, there are these really sharp tine things, right. Then--like with a chicken or a pork shoulder, right--you just spear the car from both ends and baste it with your favorite BBQ sauce for about 8 hours on very low heat...and presto! Alfa-que!!!!

;-)

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
OK; I'll be the first one... I'd think that the weight of the car might crush your grill, but if you really wanna mount it to your grill, there are these really sharp tine things, right. Then--like with a chicken or a pork shoulder, right--you just spear the car from both ends and baste it with your favorite BBQ sauce for about 8 hours on very low heat...and presto! Alfa-que!!!!

;-)
For maximum flavor, cook over hickory and baste frequently. ;)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I've heard putting a can of beer in her will keep things moist.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:rolleyes:..........................

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Any Spider on Rotisserie Picture and Info?

Hi All,

I brought this thread up again because I was looking for info on how to mount a spider on a rotisserie. I have read many threads for coupes complete with wonderful pictures but no spider.

Will appreciate if anyone with experience will share an account with pictures (if any) how you mounted your spider on the frame. Where is a good place to mount?

In lieu of a Rotisserie, I was thinking of building an A frame to lift one side of the shell up. I wondered if mounting the shell to the Idler Arm/Steering box 3 bolts mounts and the trailing arm locating pivot would be strong enough? :confused: Will try to flip it by as much as 90 degrees vertical.

Thanks
fgc

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Oh, That kind of Rotisserie!

Just got the new Car and Driver, and there's a fascinating article that discusses the outcome of an ocean going car carrier that rolled nearly onto it's side (70 degrees) during a "ballast dumping" exercise that went terribly wrong. Only one broken leg among the crew, but a salvager was killed during the recovery operation, so I'm not going to crack wise about the incident. Anyway, Mazda ended up scrapping out all 4703, 2007 autos:eek:.

Only 68 cars broke loose, but all the rest hung in their tie-downs for almost 3 weeks and a major source of damage was due to battery electrolyte leaking into places where the sun don't shine. Also, the cars were bounced and shaken by the motion of the ocean, and many seals dried out.

I'm certainly not implying that any Alfisti would put their ride on a rotisserie for weeks on end, but my rear bushing project went on for almost 3 months.

I'd love to have such a system. While I do have drive on ramps, any serious work under the car turns into a BFD just getting it up on jack stands!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Tip Jack

I ran across a reference the other day to a contraption called a Tip Jack. It appeares to be available in the UK. I have not seen anything like it here in the US.

Here is a link.
TipJack - Der mobile Kippwagenheber

I have a similar desire to try and figure out how to work on the bottom of the chassis with out laying on my back:)

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts