Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many owners, I have found the roof of my 2002 Duetto not operating. Dealer advised to hit the motor with a hammer!This worked for awhile but now totally stuffed! Not going back there, so does anyone know of somewhere to obtain a roof motor to suit. Located in Queensland Australia.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would find a able auto electrician, who will be able to diagnose the problem.
Quote: "my 2002 Duetto". Is that what a 916 Spider is called down under ?

Erik

·
Registered
5 Posts
Like many owners, I have found the roof of my 2002 Duetto not operating. Dealer advised to hit the motor with a hammer!This worked for awhile but now totally stuffed! Not going back there, so does anyone know of somewhere to obtain a roof motor to suit. Located in Queensland Australia.
If the roof cover does not open, then it could be that the motor has a cracked or tooth stripped plastic cog

If so then this is what you need.....

Alfa Romeo Spider Electric Roof, Replacement Gear 95-06 on eBay (end time 01-Feb-11 20:46:04 GMT)

But check that your cog needs replacing before ordering !

I think that someone in Austalia has had a batch made - check eBay.com.au

·
Registered
274 Posts
I purchased a new roof motor and the eBay nylon gear a few years back. Replaced the broken gear, now have a spare roof motor assembly. Unfortunately, the replacement roof motor hangs a few times a year.

The roof motor is designed for a quick release when there it gets hung. To release, grab the motor assembly with both hands and provide a firm squeeze. Likely the same as hitting with a hammer. In my experience, the gear broke rather than ruined teeth. The only way to release tension was to disassemble the latch cables at the roof motor assembly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The original advice is correct! That said, if you hear whirring noises then the other posts seem to to advise well. I recall a UK post describing replacing plastic gears with brass......not cheap but seems bullet proof if you intend to keep your car? I have had to hit mine twice............hood still fine (2.0 Spider Lusso, automatic hood)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts