Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have a roll bar installed in my 79 Spider. I bought a nice one from ABB ad. But then I saw some for BMW and Miata's. Both were cool double "U" shape units. Much nicer. Has anyone installed one of the Miata style? Will it work? Any thoughts or advice?

Jay

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Jay -
Depends on what you want the rollbar for....looks? chassis stiffener? track events? :confused:
The twin loop design will only work for the former.
There is a lot of discussion on this bb regarding options for, especially the latter. To run AROC-USA events, the requirements are pretty specific, though that won't matter if you don't care to put the convertible top up. If you do, then I recommend you communicate with "Zunige", as he has a pretty cool removal rollbar that he carries to track events on a trailer. (Actually his whole trailer setup is pretty cool).
Personally, for looks, I prefer the standard Autopower look, though I've never installed mine in the Spider, feeling that it takes up more cabin space than I am willing to forfeit, with no real benefit.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
BTW - most commercially available roll bars bolt to the floor behind the driver's seat, reducing seat movement. For a tall driver - I'm 6'2 - this is unacceptable. You need to mount it behind the edge of the package shelf, which is not strong enough, so you need to cut thru that and get to the body frame. It still needs reinforcement.

Robert

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
A legal roll bar that allows the top to go over it .................It can be done but it's wasn't cheap for me.

I have a custom made bar that meets the AROC TT rules and allows the soft top and hardtop to go over it. I also had to make a custom seat rail to allow enough leg room and keep me below the top of the bar with my helmet on.

In my experience most clubs do not allow convertibles on the track for their events (other then AROC), to get around this I install my hardtop.

It's a bolt in so the roll bar and race seats are in only in for the track events and I agree that roll bars in street cars are not a good idea...........

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the response and photos.

I have one that is suppose to fit with the soft top. I just dont like the looks of them. The ones for some of the BMW and Miata's are soo much cooler looking that I thought I might try to get one of that type to fit.

I dont race my car so regs are not the issue. Wife "just would feel safer if we installed to roll bar" , and it surely would be safer with one.

But let's face it if one of these toys ever go hit hard there is NOT much protections with or without a roll bar.

Jay

·
Super Moderator
11,670 Posts
Street rollbar + rear end collision = severe closed-head injury.
jaysalfa said:
Wife "just would feel safer if we installed to roll bar", and it surely would be safer with one.
Yes, as long as she's wearing a helmet. Otherwise, see Kilgore's quote.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I dont understand why you think a road spider is safer without a roll bar. Surely having a headrest on the seat would help prevent the head coming in contact with the bar. Maybe you think it would be safer not wearing seatbelts as well, getting thrown clear in a crash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont understand why you think a road spider is safer without a roll bar. Surely having a headrest on the seat would help prevent the head coming in contact with the bar. Maybe you think it would be safer not wearing seatbelts as well, getting thrown clear in a crash.
One might think your neck won't bend back that far, and one would be wrong. 3+ decades ago I got rear-ended in my high-school beater car (AMC Gremlin). Even with the headrest in place, my neck bent so far back I saw the other car through my rear window. Good thing I was 17 and very flexible. Sit in a Spider with a rollbar, and you'll see it's not much of a stretch to bend your head into contact the low, street-style rollbar hoop. Here's a pic, which may help illustrate the point, even though no one is sitting in the car. Wear a helmet and a HANS device, and you might be OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I really apreciate this thread. Like Alfajay, I was thinking about a roll bar and liked the double hoop design. The information here brought up some points that I had neglected to consider -Street rollbar + rear end collision = severe closed-head injury . I think I'll just go au naturel.
Thanks,

Bob
79 Spider Veloce

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's the secondary collision that kills you!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Now, now. Let's get our logic straight. If the first collision does not happen, there is no secondary collision. Besides, body dynamics is so complex that they still use crash test dummies, not simplistic commentary. For example, in a HARD rear-ender (none of this matters in a fender bender), without the hoop, your head might snap back and sever your spine; but the hoop might stop that, and then cause a crush injury on your brain. It's all "maybe".

The real issue is that these "street" roll bars are ONLY cosmetic -they offer little safety. Not braced well enough in any direction, tubing too thin and too soft, mounting to the car way too weak. Most important, the hoop is not high enough to protect the head in anything like a roll over, even if it did not collapse. Better tubing, better mounting and bracing, better engineering, and you get a sanctioned SAFETY roll system (and no way to put the top up!). Oh, you also get a $1000++ bill.

If you like the double hoop, here's one that was on the BB a few years ago (thanks to the originator!). The one in the car appears to have a diagonal rear tube (I can't bring myself to call it a "brace"), but it can't go anywhere that helps as the folded canvas top is in the way.

Roebrt

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts