Alfa Romeo Forums banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Would it not be a good idea to install longer ones so they poked out the bottom of the sill, instead of draining into the sill?
Pete

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Great thread Tom, thank you for documenting. I may be heading in this direction soon. Years and years ago I had my fill of rusted out Karmann Ghia's. Satisfying and frustrating at the same time. Back then all my welding was with a torch and coat hanger wire.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
More of the same.....Maybe a cosmetic surgeon could have done better ...carpet spared ...done without disturbing shock tower, working around the battery tray, I think a good solution with the least amount of disturbance ..maintaining original and structural integrity... etc.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Great thread Tom, thank you for documenting. I may be heading in this direction soon. Years and years ago I had my fill of rusted out Karmann Ghia's. Satisfying and frustrating at the same time. Back then all my welding was with a torch and coat hanger wire.
Now that's welding, a coat hanger & torch! I need that wire fed to me, 😅
very nice account Tom

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
All of us were young once, some of us have gotten smarter/wiser, some not. I still enjoy welding with coat hangers, but MIG is easy. Trying to get into retirement so I can spend more time in the hot rod shop.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #149 (Edited)
MIG welding is like giving everyone a trophy, gas welding cast iron was a test.......... BTW more pics of the almost final product, tire fits in the well..
not that I will ever use it..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Tom, What MIG machine are you using? I have an '86 spider purchased for a parts car, it's pretty rusty. I may bring her back to life if time allows.Or maybe wait for something more substantial.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
There is a difference between putting metal on metal with a MIG and welding with a MIG. Gas welding is easy too.

In all cases it is distortion that is the hard thing to deal with.
Pete

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #153 (Edited)
Tom, What MIG machine are you using? I have an '86 spider purchased for a parts car, it's pretty rusty. I may bring her back to life if time allows.Or maybe wait for something more substantial.
Lincoln SP180T And a Snap-on Muscle Mig 250

141 - 154 of 154 Posts