Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Lovely project, and moving right along..

Define- Superleggera ... removing the U.S. spec bumpers, that ***** must weigh 70 pounds, anyway off, replacing rear valance welding up the grotesque side markers and license plate lamps.
Will you take off those bumper pistons too? They weigh too much, but if you need -> fabricate lighter bumper brackets.
- Art

Reactions: Tom Frasca

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
@gprocket trying to minimize filler.... Attaching the skin do I fill in the round dimple in the rear? fitting the euro bumpers
Sorry, I just saw the question. Umm, I don't but it's really up to you. Since you are fabbing the passenger side and it doesn't (yet) have a dimple I suppose it makes sense to fill the driver's side for symmetry.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Sorry, I just saw the question. Umm, I don't but it's really up to you. Since you are fabbing the passenger side and it doesn't (yet) have a dimple I suppose it makes sense to fill the driver's side for symmetry.
Hello Rich!,
Yeah I realized that when I pulled the wings out of the pile of parts..., boxing in the old mounts welded and seam filled, don't need any more nesting areas !!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Tom:

This is a Euro console, also available from Vick's.

I will replace my '79 center console with its chaotic multiplicity of vertical and horizontal switches and warning lights with this much cleaner version.

The only console-mounted idiot light that I will retain is the handbrake warning light, which will be a red "jewel" light like the four in the dash panel holding the three center dash gauges. I will probably mount it on a blank in the center rocker switch position, since I only need a vent. fan rocker switch and a hazard rocker switch (my wiper switch is on a steering column stalk).

Mario
Speaking of consoles, I'm not a fan of the S2 clutter. Here are a couple of examples of simplified consoles (both in rough prototype stage):

This is wrinkle finish on a metal substrate. Toggles from a '69 GTV.

blackconsole.jpg

And this is wood veneer on metal substrate. The "chrome" edging around the wood is from the '69 GTV era. This one has power windows so I stayed with rocker switches...

woodconsole.jpg

Obviously a matter of personal choice and surprisingly more work than I expected but I like the results. I do need to think of something to do with the blank space where the radio would go. I'd put the Alfa Romeo blanking plate but that's a lot of money for a little piece of plastic... Maybe the trunk script?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Speaking of consoles, I'm not a fan of the S2 clutter. Here are a couple of examples of simplified consoles (both in rough prototype stage):

This is wrinkle finish on a metal substrate. Toggles from a '69 GTV.

View attachment 1554684

And this is wood veneer on metal substrate. The "chrome" edging around the wood is from the '69 GTV era. This one has power windows so I stayed with rocker switches...

View attachment 1554686

Obviously a matter of personal choice and surprisingly more work than I expected but I like the results. I do need to think of something to do with the blank space where the radio would go. I'd put the Alfa Romeo blanking plate but that's a lot of money for a little piece of plastic... Maybe the trunk script?
Well Rich to tell you the truth, you are partly to blame for my current situation, I foolishly showed my wife the photo of the silver alfa you posted.....game over!!! Please feel free to chime in on anything you think I should do. This is my first late model resto, in fact it is the first(we build race cars) Burgandy interior, redoing the floor pans so the carpet (will now be charcoal gray) and minimal sound deading being installed.

Reactions: gprocket

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I need some OEM Euro front- marker lights...

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
Well Rich to tell you the truth, you are partly to blame for my current situation, I foolishly showed my wife the photo of the silver alfa you posted.....game over!!! Please feel free to chime in on anything you think I should do. This is my first late model resto, in fact it is the first(we build race cars) Burgandy interior, redoing the floor pans so the carpet (will now be charcoal gray) and minimal sound deading being installed.
My wife figured this out long ago:

Duck tail S3 = new couch
Kamm Tail S2 = new family room furniture
Duetto S1 = new kitchen
GTA-R = new house, possibly new husband...

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
OMG.....just had new kitchen installed....I can go shopping....yay!
I've had this all arse-about.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Be careful.
Car stuff to home stuff is a percentage...and the ratio doesn't go in favor of the car stuff.
Figure a currency exchange rate.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
My wife figured this out long ago:

Duck tail S3 = new couch
Kamm Tail S2 = new family room furniture
Duetto S1 = new kitchen
GTA-R = new house, possibly new husband...
Err yah got it backward, I was streeting a 2 liter spyder, when she saw the Euro ...it was game over that's what she wants... married 42 years to a true Alfista(my father always told me to find a girl willing to go under the car with you) BTW that is her GT Sprint in back of my friends GTO

Attachments

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The gift that keeps on giving, rather than take 5 minutes to bang out the panel the PO body shop bondo repaired the dent, can be straightened pretty easily than on to welding up the license plate lamp mount holes..

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey Tom,

Maybe try running a paint meter over the entire car to make sure there are no other surprises. I've seen some pretty good body filler work that's super hard to detect. Having a repainted car doesn't help either.

By the way, excellent work you're doing. Should be a really nice car when you're done.

One final recommendation - keep the smog parts in a box, just in case someone needs them in the future.

Keep up the good work!

Greg

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Back at it Thursday, all the metal remaining including the nose and boot in great shape...when we are done the only layer over the metal will be a sanding primer ...hopefully it will be enjoyed beyond my stewardship. is not that the point of what we all are doing? BTW...we keep all Alfa parts..

Reactions: Alfaboutvegas

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
"we keep all Alfa parts"

I don't know how they accumulated so quickly but I had to build a shed for my parts!

are they perchance related to rabbits?:wink2:
Keep up the good work Tom.
Greg

Reactions: Tom Frasca

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Rossini is good listening music whilst beating "Arruganita" with a hammer...

:

Reactions: 76Satisfaction

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
After much consideration I may have to rename her Pygmalion .....

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Soooooooooooooo..... after hours of measuring, leveling, figuring out what was in the minds of the assembly team, more cussing, laser levels, recall of geometry from Mrs. Klinesinger in High School, grinding (more cussing) chalk marks and plumb bobs. (A prayer to Saint Anthony) a big ****ing hammer...final fitment of the rear valance and bumper mounts and a final test fit of rear bumper. Now ready to move on...... whew!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
61 - 80 of 163 Posts