Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spider Restoration.... or am I to old for this nonsense..

Got this for $2000, 1979 24K DOCUMENTED MILES- NO JOKE...runs like a deer.
So far
soft top
front floor pans
front/rear fender wings
spare wheel well
inner/ middle/outer rockers
R/L a pillars
all 4 jack points(what the hell)
rear valence
carpet set(since I am tearing out the floors anyway)

Options I have in stock
light covers\Euro bumpers

I am staying with the silver...mechanicals are surprisingly good in every respect, once I changed out all 4 corners of the brake calipers which were frozen solid!!

Self-doubt creeping in.... (it should be nice when it is done????)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom! I say jump in with both feet! I would and I'm 69 years old. Great looking old/young Spider! Congrats... a great find.
November surprise, all 3 of 4 corners were in great shape when the outer sills removed...now keeping the chassis square..is always fun...replacing all 3 sills both sides ....seam welding..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RUST !!!Enough Already or am I to old for this nonsense..

Some more pics need to replace the inner section, on one side do
to chronic mice nesting and subsequent moisture,,

Attachments

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Tough sledding there.. Most of us would rather not know what is going on down below the belt line unless there are clear issues externally like layers of bondo but even solid sheet metal on the outside can mask what is going on inside... We would be scared to death to find out. Seems like this would have showed up with a peek at the underside rockers and boxes? Hard to believe a 24000 mile car would have lived most of those miles in salt brine.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tough sledding there.. Most of us would rather not know what is going on down below the belt line unless there are clear issues externally like layers of bondo but even solid sheet metal on the outside can mask what is going on inside... We would be scared to death to find out. Seems like this would have showed up with a peek at the underside rockers and boxes? Hard to believe a 24000 mile car would have lived most of those miles in salt brine.
Really, I thought so to, but.....the rats/mice nested on the one side, so all aft and front-end solid, as are suspension components, rear pickups..trunk tyre well was affected as it stunk of mice urine and out go the carpets. But it runs well, in fact with the exception of some cowle shake it wasn't bad. so once apart a nice seam weld and I know what is under the paint (I guess)..:surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I'd be tempted to part it out..but that leads to a whole other can of worms unless you want to take on the shipping and packaging..These cars don't have a big return ahead of them in value.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be tempted to part it out..but that leads to a whole other can of worms unless you want to take on the shipping and packaging..These cars don't have a big return ahead of them in value.
Last of the spica cars I figure I am all in for a lot less than a low mileage, car and it is my time so we will see...

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
REAR... pretty much wire wheel and zinc chromate..
well, that looks really solid!

best photo I've seen of those blasted soft top tubes, draining right into the rockers...!

note to self: keep the drain slots free:)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, that looks really solid!

best photo I've seen of those blasted soft top tubes, draining right into the rockers...!

note to self: keep the drain slots free:)
That seems to be the case with the exception of the area on the left side.. ditto on the drain tubes..

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts

Nooooo!!!! These are great cars IMHO. Detuned motor and fed bumpers aside, these spiders steadily improved And since they aren't "classics" so to speak, there's no guilt in modifying them. Motors are easy to hop up, replace the bumpers with stainless, upgrade the wheels & tires, go nuts on the interior...

This:
IMG_20180713_130234894.jpg

to this:
IMG_20181019_174928561-EFFECTS.jpg

and this:
IMG_20181025_193409499.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
I'm with you Rich.. I OWN ONE. If I had your expertise and facilities I might be in your play pen too... rescue-ing or billing out for my time .. but as long as there are cars (and there are many in the category) that don't need a make-over that I don't have to resurrect. I would just as soon go in that direction. I'm learning more on how "un-bullet-proof" even these cars really are, by the day and it can quickly put one underwater.. which has never been my experience in this past-time in 40 years.

·
Push hard and live
9,120 Posts
I’ve always preferred th S2’s, of them all. Of course, I was an Alfa dealer parts manager when this series was new, and admired them for their purity and all around good behavior. Of course, some prefer the boattail, but I always thought the Kamm improved the looks.

We tend to discount the Spiders these days, as there was just so many of them. In 10 years, a low-mileage S2 that’s been brought back to new, and documented as good work? I reckon it would return the capital at that point, and possibly some of the labor.

And metallic silver is a winner.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Nooooo!!!! These are great cars IMHO. Detuned motor and fed bumpers aside, these spiders steadily improved And since they aren't "classics" so to speak, there's no guilt in modifying them. Motors are easy to hop up, replace the bumpers with stainless, upgrade the wheels & tires, go nuts on the interior...

This:
View attachment 1538088

to this:
View attachment 1538090

and this:
View attachment 1538092

Thanks Rich ...I was on the same track, BTW love the paint on the Spider ...would you mind sharing the paint code? All in I am at about $10k car and parts including the Alfaholics Burgandy Top, lense covers, and Euro Bumper conversion, sheet metal listed at the #1 post.... all new calipers with prefomatek pads. (not including my labor) and when completed I know what I have. And yes, I already have the headers, smog going in the parts pile, keeping the spica with a mild tune and cams..that's the plan. Over time I will add lightness(as per Colin Chapman)...

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Great project and I fully agree with the encouragement above. Here's a couple of pictures of my "78 in 2012 and in early 2018, essentially a twin of yours but with three times the mileage and a more sorrowful, initial appearance. If the '88 Spider was not silver, I would have followed your plan to stay with the original or near original color.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 154 Posts