Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone happen to know, or have any printed material that shows, what a 750/101 NA Spider sold for in 1960?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Did you come across a time machine? Put me down for two spiders, please. Any color is ok!

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Did you come across a time machine? Put me down for two spiders, please. Any color is ok!
Jim,

I have an old Hoffman advertisement that lists the price of a Giulietta Spider as $3515 and for a Giulietta Spider Veloce as $3885.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
To put those Spider prices in perspective, in 1960 I bought a new Mercury Comet for $1500.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic, Bob! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
A scan of the sales brochure from when my Dad- Mac Macgowan- bought his first Alfa. $3360 in 1958. I asked Dad later why he did not by a Veloce?
" Too much money" I think a new Caddy was about the same $$ I learned to drive in the 58 Spider. Not called a normal back then. Just a Spider VS a Spider Veloce. And it was the short wheel base 750 with the fake vent windows. Just some fun information
I am having troble adding sale brochure. I will try again.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a Giulietta Spider in the Fall of 1961 for about $2200 from the San Franciso
dealer (Razzai sp??)
I could not afford a Veloce.
The car had Italian registration with EE plates that I picked up in Lugano.
It was a beautiful grey. I sure wish I still had the car.

Lowell Brown

·
Registered
156 Posts
Spider price

I paid $3200 for my new 1600 Normal in Fall 1964 at Rezzaghi Motors in San Francisco.

The price included two rear-view mirrors.

The list price was (said to be) $3400 but I shrewdly bargained him down $200.

Jeffrey

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
I was in transferred to Toronto in 1965 and had $1400 to buy a used sports car.

Intended to buy a Porsche 356, but after driving a 1300 Spider that idea was gone. The Porsche was spooky and the Alfa was "night and day" better in handling and braking compared to the Healey 100 and MGTF I had had as daily drivers.

New prices were close to those we saw in the Alfa adds in R&T.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
I have the original invoice for my late 60/early 61 Veloce Spider, sold through a Portland OR dealer but picked up in Rome. I can look tonight.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,665 Posts
58 sales brochure

Hopefully, the picture will load this time. The sales brochure- including the picture without the headlight rings- from when my Dad bought his first Alfa. $3360 from Howard Auto in Belmont,CA.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Now, quite how you deal with this...I have the UK prices in October 1956 and a Spider Normale was £2243 on the road. A Sprint Veloce was £2843, a Primavera was £2926 and a SS £3676. To put matters into perspective a Jenson 541 was £2571. Alfas were v. expensive.

·
Premium Member
22,166 Posts
My Spider Veloce, built in Sept. 60, sold in May 61 to a US resident who arranged to pick it up in Rome through a Portland OR dealer, for $2727.
My files with the car include a dealer brochures with $2760 - 276 = $2484 (Normale?) and $3270 - 327 = $2943 (Veloce?) written in a very European-looking hand. Was there a 10% discount for European pickup? This is a four-language brochure with a white Spider with headlight rims and Roma plates.
Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, here's my story in a little more detail.
I finished my PhD work in 1961, and my wife and I spent the summer in San Jose,
where I worked at IBM. We had saved a little money and with the money I made at
IBM we had enough to buy a Giulietta Spider Normale but not a Veloce.
My wife's father worked at PG&E in San Francisco and could walk down to Rezzaghi Motors during his lunch break. He brokered a deal in which we could buy the car --- for
$2,200 I am pretty sure --- complete with Italian export registration (EE plates)
if we could pick up the car just across the border in Lugano, Switzerland. Mr. Rezzaghi had a horse farm in the hills above Palo Alto. One Sunday, all of us went up there, and I gave him a check for the car, and he gave me some sort of receipt. I had a fellowship for a postdoc in Rome. We took a boat from Boston to Naples, the train to Rome to find a place to stay for a while, then the train to Lugano, and there the car was ready for us.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts