Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an occasion to remove the power window motor, regulator and its associated cable from the right hand door of my '82 Spider. In doing so, however, I have managed to tangle the cable and I have having an impossible time trying to rescue it. The cable is in good condition, that is it is not frayed and I do not see a major kink in it. I have tried wrapping the cable once around the drum in the tracks but there is too much cable left over, that is there seems to several more wraps left in the cable before it comes out in a loop for the windows.

Is there a secret to re-winding these cables? Should I just give in and buy a new one? Does anybody have any experience with the newer style window regulators that both Centerline and Vick sells?

Any help would be appreciated.

Klig
1982 Spider Veloce

·
Administrator
17,520 Posts
I forget how many wraps the cable needs to make around the drum, but, once you figure that out, here's a trick I used to hold the cable on the drum until I could get the motor back in & the rest of the cable into place. I found a scrap piece of plastic pipe with an ID about the size of the drum. I cut it to the width of the drum and into a 'C' shape - a little more than 180 degrees. I then fit that into the drum to hold the cable in place so I could use both hands to fiddle with the motor & cable. Once in place I was able to push the C shaped piece off & retrieve it from the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
what part?
10,291 Posts
each side has = cable wraps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts