Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope my '78 Spider continues to have some limited track and auto cross time, and the front bumber will be coming off this spring. It is starting to deteriorate. Do you have photos or descriptions of how your front grill areas look. I think the bumper towers have to come out..............

I also want to lower the car and wish to hear or see any suggestions to get the body down on the wheels.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Hi Vintage61,

It's great to hear of another Alfa autocrossing...

You can lower a Spider with different springs and/or lower profile tires. Dropped spindles are also available to lower the front and don't have the roll center issue mentioned below, but are $350/set.

Several local Alfisti autocross Spiders with 205/50x15 Hoosier tires and are able to use this size with stock bodywork. Overall diameter is 22.8 in. If you want to alter the wheel openings, bigger tires can be used. I use 225/45x15 Hoosier A6 on 9 in. rims. Last year, the A6 became available in 275/35x15, but requires even wider rims and maybe additional wheel well modifications.

Lowering by different (and stiffer) springs is easy, and several suppliers have packages. There's lots of different opinions on specific spring rates; do a BB search on the topic. Extreme lowering has a negative effect on front suspension geometry and results in a too low front roll center. I actually plan to raise the front of my autocross Spider for the upcoming season.

... also want to lower the car and wish to hear or see any suggestions to get the body down on the wheels.

Thanks in advance

1 - 3 of 3 Posts