Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never owned an Alfa, but interested in buying one.
and a newbie on this forum ...
All the info. I need is probably buried in this forum somewhere, but I can't seem to find a "search" feature. That said, I wondered if anyone can give me a general rundown on Spider model years. I've heard that the early 80s cars are problematic -- less power, less reliable. When does "early 80s" stop being early 80s? I have a line on a very nice '83 -- I did find some h.p. figures and apparently they're up a bit from a low of 111HP in '81 to 115 in '83, which seems to last for several years. However, this is well down from 135 in the 1960s.
So, before I buy an emissions clogged dog, can anybody fill me in? Also, maybe a ball park value on a very clean, low miles, very well maintained '83
thanks
Dave

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Welcome to the BB, Dave!

There is a wealth of information here... 1983 is a great year. In '82 Alfa introduced the new version of the Spider, and switched the fuel management from SPICA to Bosch. It was definitely a good step. Rather than repeating what I've written already, click on the underlined links below, and you will be able to find some information that you may find useful. (To see the entire thread, once the post is open, you can click on the top right of the post.) Of course, these are personal observations and opinions, so I would encourage you to search in the Spider forum, and also read what others have written.

Also, if there is a local Alfa Romeo Owners Club chapter in your area, I would strongly recommend that you contact them, as this would allow you to speak with owners and see different cars first hand, and perhaps even drive one or two. The AROC is a different organization from this BB. Their web site is www.aroc-usa.org.

Unofficial Spider Timeline
What's so great about 84's
A comment that may be helpful when considering the Spider market

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
In addition to what the folks have told you; After 84 the Spider got an ECU driven/solenoid activated VVT. in 85 it got the MONOPOD instrument cluster and in 86 it went to more reliable "spade" type fuses.

It is impossible to give a price to a "nice" 83. It depends on how much maintenance/upkeep the PO has done. For example if all the suspension and drivetrain components are original that is a big consideration.

You should buy on mechanical condition, but rust, rust, rust, is THE show stopper. Also interior fixes are not cheap!

In any event any Post Spica FI Spider (82 and later) would be a good bet. That is not to say that the Spica Spider can also be a good candidate!

Forget HP spec's, that is a real obscure paret of the equasion, suffice it to say that the Carb Spiders are the fastest. The smogged Spiders suffered and the Bosch ECU Spiders with CAT restored performance to a great extent!

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ron and Enrique--
That was exactly the stuff I was looking for!
Unfortunately, the car just sold. But hey, at least I learned something.
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And Elio--
thanks, that's a great overview (and easy to remember when kicking tires)
I'll be better armed next time a good one comes along.
thanks again-
Dave
BTW-- the one I was looking at was an all original '83, not a speck of rust, 58K (it just closed on Ebay), and was flawlessly maintained/summer driven/barn kept by owners in Vt. (owned by a friend of mine's parents, I actually looked at it a year ago in passing). It went for $6200. New clutch, turn-key car

·
Registered
622 Posts
In addition to what the folks have told you; After 84 the Spider got an ECU driven/solenoid activated VVT. in 85 it got the MONOPOD instrument cluster and in 86 it went to more reliable "spade" type fuses.

Elio
Just a correction or clarification 85 still had the twin pod instruments, it was 86 that went to monopod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts