Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am new this community so please bear with me. I am very impressed with the knowledge sharing on this forum.... so my problem
I have a 1983 Spider from California (but currently in UK). It`s a 2.0L injection model. Well, it was left idling for about 5 mins after a half hour drive and then just cut out, not to start. Details are:
Turning over: yes
Battery: OK
power to coil: yes
spark from coil: NO (and coil changed with same problem)
fuses checked: yes
earthing checked: yes and OK.

I cannot figure it out :confused: ....... please can anyone help???

·
Registered
321 Posts
Check both flywheel sensors for the correct resistance, and that they are mounted correctly on the bell housing. One of mine failed, which resulted in power to the coil, but no switching, hence no spark. There is a small "nut" on the flywheel that triggers the sensor. This nut can back out, hitting and damaging the sensor. I recommend you remove them from the bellhousing, and check their condition.

You will need the correct schematic for your car, and a low impedance ohm meter to check the circuits without possibly causing damage. It's easiest to check the circuit at the computer, where the connectors are numbered per the schematic. It took me a few tries to find the right terminals.

While you are down under the car, see that the ground strap at the bell housing is secure and functional. Check every ground on the car, for that matter. The ECMs are grounded at the valve cover or intake manifold( I've seen both).

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Take a look at the fuse/holder under the package shelf behind the passenger seat. It's next to the computer - they fry regularly. Controls the fuel pump.
A very popular place to fail...

jeff

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much.... at last, I can stop standing next to the car scratching my head!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts