Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Spider improvement effort

217K views 471 replies 90 participants last post by  Alfar7 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to make my `80 Spider look more like an Alfa than a "pushboat".
All steel renovation.
Bumpers were excellent but had to go. Have AAA so spare tire well gone too!:p
Battery box totally below floor from Stainless steel sheet.
Front Mods:eek: Grill brackets allow it to "float" in body opening... Turn signals are NOS `56 Ford truck. Should go well with Carello headlight covers.
Progress pics:

Attachments

See less See more
#349 ·
SARATOGA CLASSICS & THE PARTS BROKER
81 Railroad Place Suite A
Saratoga Springs, NEW YORK 12866

1-877-276-7278 OR 518 444 0462
Sales EXT 5

Replied that they have one too but I did not return their email as Richard had gone with another vendor.

The $1450 one in Chicago is at:

Reference #: UPR2006899729
Part Requested: Axle (Rear, Complete) - Completerear axle for auto transmission car
Warranty: Warranty (Please click on the link to review our entire warranty policy.)
Why buy from Quality Auto Parts vs our competitors?

#350 · (Edited)
Warning

Odd... I bought 2 today, a 3.58, and a 3.73.
Wrecking yards use a crossover program to locate parts. All of them!
Neither of the diffs that "A-GRADE Auto Parts" SWORE were in their yard were in fact there, or the 3.73 or 3.58 ratios that I made them specify in their "Request for payment" via Paypal (Which is the only way to pay vendors! As you CAN force refunds!)

A-Grade is a East Coast wide group. They will tell you anything to get your $$ in hand. Avoid them.

Back to another 4.10 Diff as the earlier one for the car was sold, anticipating a higher geared one for the car.

Oh well.

#353 ·
Montreal Coupe

Well, I`ve decided I`m going a different direction with the Coupe chassis.

Thought about selling the car, but the suspension is way too developed for a street car and the drive train too valuable to risk damaging, so the solution is to replace the Monty motor & trans with the Spare race motor built for the Duetto and go racing with both of them.

The Montreal motor, and drive train(inc transmission but not the driveshaft) and headers, induction system and ancillaries are going to be sold.

Buyer can drive the car to experience the power this thing makes! This ain`t your fathers Montreal motor!

Since installed the motor has no more than 8 hours drive time, all to car shows.

Want it? It`s not going cheap but it`s going to come out by this summer.

Full build is covered in this thread.

#355 ·
Well no project is ever finished here...

Things are going to change for the "Coupe" (Illegitimati II).

I never grew fond of the original spoiler shape. Too wide at the lower edges, and didn`t match cars curves. Pics of the re-do is below, as before and after the one I built (modified) this weekend.

The Duetto race car will celebrate 50 years as a race car next year. Driving an open car in the cold rain (last 3 races) isn`t very pleasant. I love racing it in the rain, say in Florida when its 90 degrees. But generally the sun shines here and that is infrequent.

The "Coupe" has been out of the garage for a total of 5 car shows. Sits in my wife`s garage.... Decided it is going to get transformed to another 4 cyl race car. With a top & windshield!

The Montreal engine and all it`s custom parts along with the rest of the drivetrain (engine, clutch/transmission etc is going to be sold as a complete assembly as it`s too valuable to risk damaging it racing vintage.

I`m going to list the components for sale on the Montreal forum and let someone else have a unique power plant.

I have a complete 2 liter race motor built and waiting .

I thinking of leaving the engine in tha car for a month or 2 so a buyer can drive and experience the power.

Interested? Send me an e-mail. Won`t be a gift, but priced in line with it`s value.

Attachments

#358 · (Edited)
Montreal Engine & Trans are for sale

Was contacted by a fellow in France interested in the drive train.
I made him a video Dec. 2, 2018 of the engine being driven. BB member David Brown was along for the ride.
I`ll post a link to the video shortly.

I`ve lowered the price for the engine & trans. Engine has only 4-6 hours run time and all street driving.
Engine and trans as an assembly will be $17,500, and shipping.

This includes all the components attached to the engine/trans:
Complete induction system, airbox, carbs, aeroquip fuel lines and fuel manifold/log, starter, alternator, Bosch electronic distributor, wires, double thermostats, headers & collectors past the rear of the trans. Clutch assembly including light flywheel, aluminum center (no-spring) organic faced clutch disk, Quarter Master 4 leg Annular hydraulic release mechanism, bell housing and ZF Type S5-18/3 trans purchased from ZF Remanufacturing Facility in Lincolnshire, Ill.

If it is to be shipped I will have a wooden crate built, cost $250.00, and deliver to local trucking/freight terminal.
Cost of freight is buyers responsibility, and overseas shipping will be handled totally buy the seller.
Pic of engine & Video were done Dec 2, 2018.

Will Sell engine only for $16,000. Engine related parts inc headers, flywheel, clutch Pressure plate and lightweight disk are included.

You Tube File:

#361 · (Edited)
"shrinkage?"

Seems to have grown smaller viewes on the floor, but looked hugemongus in the engine bay of the "coupe".
Crated and ready to become a French toy.

Attachments

#367 · (Edited)
Spider Improvement Effort Continues

Well the Montreal engine is going to France so the "Coupe`s" new manifestation is going to be a front mid-engine car.

The Chassis modifications to fit the rearward mounted Montreal engine left plenty of room for the Nord engine to be moved rearward 9 inches from stock, so the front cover is inline with the spindle position.

The "Test Fit" engine is a empty block, transmission , rear half of a DBU head fitted with 1 weber carb and airbox assembly.
I can build the motor mounts (it will be hard mounted) and tran`s mounts so the new race engine can be just plugged in when finished.

Attachments

#373 · (Edited)
Motor mounts done

I finished the 4 mounts for the motor and have the transmission support built and mounted in the chassis. All fitted so the engine and transmission shafts centerline is lined up with the differential pinion flange. The passenger side lower mount is also the alternator mount.

Worked out perfectly for the one piece driveshaft I built for the Montreal`s transmission, proved to be the perfect length. (Maserati version with a u-joint output flange that was the same as those used in the 2 liter Alfa flanges).

Pics of the two lower and adjustable upper cross bar are below

Attachments