Alfa Romeo Forums banner

241 - 260 of 416 Posts

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Dash

I have some leftover angled mounting rings/bases for those gauges if you're interested. Much like the Spider gauge angle rings from the S2/3 cars but the ones I have are black textured plastic.
Thanks for the compliments and the offer, but the dash is flared outward to present the gauges "proud" of the main dash surface.

I don`t particularly like the "ball cap bill" cover on the speedometer and plan on forming a rounded alum trim cover to replace it.

The Duetto racecar is ready for Sebring and is going into the trailor this weekend so the "Coupe" will be back on the lift for engine removal and finishing the underside of the tunnel.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks for the compliments and the offer, but the dash is flared outward to present the gauges "proud" of the main dash surface.

I don`t particularly like the "ball cap bill" cover on the speedometer and plan on forming a rounded alum trim cover to replace it.

The Duetto racecar is ready for Sebring and is going into the trailor this weekend so the "Coupe" will be back on the lift for engine removal and finishing the underside of the tunnel.
Sebring, eh? Sounds like more fun than the situation in DC...at least Summit Point is nearby.

For the rings - sounds like I wasn't specific enough. They aren't really caps/ball cap bill but rather a mounting base. (attaching borrowed photo below; it would look much better w/ the gauges you have). But for a skilled fabricator like you I'm sure it would have been done with some alloy or steel tubing and painted to match... :thumbup1:

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Need interior door handle

I need one of the short flat door opening handles for the car. Lost one..
This is the series 3 type. short, flat & held on by a small flat head screw from the side of the handle.

Anybody got one?
Rj

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Montreal Coupe still progressing

With the Duetto`s new one piece driveshaft and 5.5 inch Tilton clutch all working nicely I have had time to spens a few hours on the "Coupe"

The latest labors were to finish installing the Fuel pump, regulator and secondary electrical cut-off assembly, and finish up the battery instalation with it`s primary wires ran.
Then I installed the headlights (H4 type assemblies with 90w-100-w bulbs) and the "parking" light units from a 1957 Ford PU.
The Carrello covers fit well enough without needing modifications.

Both the Aluminum double flow oil cooler and double flow Griffin radiator are mounted.
Now to pull the engine and trans out again to finish the underside of the new firewall and tunnel.I guess this is another candidate for the purest to toss into the Darwin thread!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Not so. This is a great candidate for "Scuderia Non Originale". Purist is fine. It's just that there are other acceptable versions...

....I guess this is another candidate for the purest to toss into the Darwin thread!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Not so. This is a great candidate for "Scuderia Non Originale". Purist is fine. It's just that there are other acceptable versions...
I doubt many true alfista would be ashamed to sit in the drivers seat of this beauty

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hot ****, that is one great spider!

I was initially turned off by the "coupe-ing" of such an iconic convertible, but I'm sold now. The Ghia roof lines really work with the Pininfarina body, and your execution puts it right over the top.

And to fit a Montreal V8 is just overkill. Sweet overkill.

Bet it's an amazing drive.

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
Progress

Well, the engine and trans is back in the car with the engine bay painted to match the car. Looks Spiffy.

Re-installed the petal assembly again, now fitted with new Tiltom MCs for the brakes and clutch. Used a 5/8" MC for the clutch and 3/4" for rear and 7/8" for the front brakes. That shouldn`t require much need for using the balance bar for brake bias front & rear.

The Engine is now plumbed with all of the oil lines from it through the cooler and external filter.
The Scavenge pump sends the oil through Areoquip lines to a double flow Aluminum Griffith "Motorcycle" radiator ("oil cooler now!) and then on to the oil tank in the trunk.

-12 AN hose feeds the oil pump inlet from the rear tank, which is then filtered externally as there wasn`t room for the stock filter on the engine in the chassis.

The Griffith Aluminum radiator is mounted and plumbed using two motorcycle thermostats to control the temp. These are 180 degree units to keep temps moderate.

The Alternator (a small Nippon Denso) is mounted forward of the engine as no room for it with the fitment in the 115 chassis.
Since it is turning "backwards" "as it were" the battery will be charged through the negative terminal.:p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
Way Cool!! How can anyone not like this car, car doesn't do it justice, it's a machine.

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
Progress

Now that all the oil lines, Fuel lines and the main battery wiring and cutoff switch is done, I started wiring the back of the dash instruments.

I was less than happy with the red tach pod and it`s "ball cap" cover (sourced from a series 2 Spider). Way to much "Bling"!:whistling:
I machined an aluminum bezel to replace it, and then decided it should be black in likeness to the other instruments.

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #257 (Edited)
Where it`s at....

I`ve finally finished both the never ending Montreal engine project that started back in (I think) March that was an engine removed, dismantled and serious parts lost over the last 10-12 years including internals and cams and their sprockets. A Montreal Puzzle from the git-go, and the Street 10.75 to 1 engine and c;lose ratio trans that was far easier to do.

Started wiring the "Coupe" and the dash. Wiring the dash took a few days, and also built a " log" to provide brake fluid to the 3 Master Cylinders. I would far rather weld chrome-moly than wire anytime!

The chassis is "wired" other than the front headlights and 4 front "parking" lights. Now I just have to wire the chassis wires into the harness built into the dash and fuse box.. I now 2wonder why I spent time doing the headlights......

There is a "underhood" gauge panel with oil pressure, water temp. and voltage to keep a visual record of info while tuning.

Remember. This is only phase 1 of the wiring project.

Dealing with electrons flowing through solids is the Devil`s work. Surely it will be F`d up!

Attachments

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #259 (Edited)
Wiring....

I find wiring tedious and aggravating! However after a good 6 days of dealing with it the dash and it`s instruments, wiring assemblies, harness and fuse panel are wired.
Remarkably, everything seems to work as designed. If there was fuel in the tank it would run.

Heres some pics of the current status of the project. All the trim pannels for the dash are installed with switches for lights, high & low beams, fan, ignition and fuel pomp and push button for starting. The brake fluid reservoir serves both of the brake MCs and the clutch MC.
Clutch is plumbed and finished, the brake lines are not other than the rear lines up to the firewall. Pink wires loose under the dash goes to the transmission temp sender.

Attachments

241 - 260 of 416 Posts